Yes but if you can afford to buy the bridgestone then go for them. Bridestone apparently were the first to make snow tyres, then others copied, but the difference being, Bridgestones don't harden after a year or two so they maintain there grip. Other makes harden after a year or two so although other makes may last longer they wont grip as well.

I have bridestones on my Delica which I chose as that is what I also had on the Escudo before, but I got Goodyear normal tyres, as that is what came with the car.

Also I was told that the more thick the tyre the better it works in the snow.

So although my normal wheels are 18" rims with low profile tyres, I went for 16" rims with very high profile winter tyres.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You would think I should get better mileage but nope...around 7 or 8. My dad's big GMC truck gets better mileage. The LC is diesel though so that takes a bit of the sting out of filling it up. I li

Muikabochi-san, what did you end up buying?

Too bad I did not see your post sooner, I went through this exercise last year, going to various outlets like Autobacs, Tire-kan, etc.

I agree with your opinion of not buying secondhand tires or taking a chance on auctions, as the purchaser has no idea of the storage conditions, how they were driven, etc. Why gamble?

The tires at Costco ended up being the least expensive. Blizzaks were highly recommended (but were the most expensive) of the lot. Also got new wheels, as it saves a lot of wear and tear on installing/taking the tires off each season.

So I ended up buying the Goodyear studless winter tires just before leaving on Friday and am very very glad I did so. The roads around Hakuba this weekend were terrible! I saw quite a few people stuck on the side of the road. Money very well spent at 48,000Y.

• 10 months later...

Yes, it's that time again. Right after the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, belts, new brake rotors and pads.....(all being done right now)....I'll change the tires. That bill is going to hurt. So much for buying myself a Go Pro HD for Christmas.. :sadface:

...and when you crash your car because you got duped into buying shitty second hand tires you'll be picking up your happoshu on your bicycle. Good luck with those... for 5000 yen I'd be surprised if there were any tread left on them. :p

I must do it this week....off to Hokkaido next week. Such a pain in the arse. The Bridgestone mud terrains I have on the LandCruiser now are A LOT of wheel and tire.....heavy as all hell to lug around.

OK got that done.

When I say that, all I did was put the tyres in the car, drive to the garage and pay them the money 30 minutes later! ;)

Sure was hard work reading that newspaper and supping coffee while the garage folk did it.