I am thinking of renting a car for a couple of weeks perhaps this winter to go on a trip.

Just read an article about issues revolving around car rental:

The excess rip-off

The full/empty con

The top-up trick

The mystery scratch scam

I've actually never rented a car out before, anyone with any stories worth sharing or is it generally a smooth and hassle free process?

friend

Never had any issues. Just make sure you cover your ass.

- Get unlimited kms.

- Check the car before driving off and agree with the hire company all scratches, sign the document. get a copy.

- Read the insurance policy and understand what you are covered for.

- Bottom line with excess is 'can you afford to pay it?', if not paying for reduced excess maybe worth it.

- Always return with full tank.

Originally Posted By: @tokyo
Originally Posted By: Schneebored
- Read the insurance policy

Come on! Come on! You really read the masses of small print on an insurance policy!?

haha...I do make sure I read some key sections. I have been caught out too many times by small print, and vowed to never let it happen again.

You should try it...it makes for fascinating dinner party conversations!

No fuss. Toyota Rentacar are thoroughly profession.

You can pickup at airport and drop off at any Toyota rental depot and no extra cost.

And you do need to drop off with a full tank, just like when you picked the car up.

On return, the girl just gsves it a quick going over to make sure of no major dings.

Get CDW on top for peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: its-a-clock
I am thinking of renting a car for a couple of weeks perhaps this winter to go on a trip.

Just read an article about issues revolving around car rental:
The excess rip-off
The full/empty con
The top-up trick
The mystery scratch scam

I've actually never rented a car out before, anyone with any stories worth sharing or is it generally a smooth and hassle free process?

friend

pretty straight forward, when we returned the car and it hadn't been topped up the guy even said that we'd be cheaper taking it to the nearest petrol station as they would charge a higher petrol fee

Before signing up once I was told that if I paid a bit extra, even if it came back with scratches etc I was covered. Wasn't keen but then we started the "look over" the car to note current scratches. It was ridiculous, went on for ages and I though I'd never cover the whole thing. I had no choice that time as I was pushed for time, it wasn't that much, but I really felt I was done. Never used those people again

If you are taking it back and it had 64km on it from new when you got it and when you return it with all the warning lights are on and it wont get out of 2nd gear in the auto after having it for 48 hrs, park it well up the back and when you hurriedly drop the keys off complain about how bad it was and that you are writing to the company to complain about it. Just dont mention how you had it going backwards nice and fast, put it into neutral, planted your foot then when it was revving its head off put it in drive - several times. wink

Ahh the days of being young in reprehensible. How I miss those smile

Naughty boy!

I've rented cars in maybe five countries but never had any real bother with shysters pulling a fast one. I reckon that would be most likely at a discount place in the UK. I can't imagine it happening in Japan at all.

The best thing we rented was a camper van that we drove from Vancouver to Calgary via the Rockies. Highly recommended!

in the US lol

The small ones are generally the worst.

School aquaintance, but of a dick, wrote off his rental on the last day. The rental company owner was about to burst into tears. It was one of a fleet of 2. lol