10/11 Site Updates: General info & discussion

• SnowJapan Admin

We'll re-arrange and add a few to the dropdowns in the near future to give it a bit of a refresh.

In the meantime, the last of our new 6 main site designs has just gone up.

From now on, we will start rotating them (in no particular order and very probably about once a week and/or when we remember!)

friend

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys!

The iPhone app is a great idea!

I don't know whether someone suggested this before, but an option for saving favourite resorts would be amazing.

This way I could keep an eye real quick on the resorts near home.

Thanks anyway for you hard work guys!

Cheers

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks Mohican

Appreciate the feedback and comments.

We have had a number of feature ideas and suggestions sent in and we are keeping notes.

Right now, we are concentrating on our resort database and some other areas of the site that need updating, so while we will come back to the Apps it will be a while before we can really start plans to develop them further. Realistically, I doubt that we will see further major updates - other than small adjustments where necessary - for at least a few months.

I still can't actually believe that we got those three done (iphone, ipad, android), considering the volume of all of the other things that have been going on.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy it and to everyone else as well... further comments are always welcome.

Thanks

• SnowJapan Admin

I just wanted to update this thread.

In the original post I mentioned that we are going to be making other changes to the site. We are in the process of doing those things and doing what we can to get things done as quickly as possible without rushing things - we want to do it properly. All that work, along with lots of requests coming in and work regarding other aspects of our site, is taking longer than planned so it might not all be ready on the timeline we originally hoped for.

Our first priority is the resorts data and we still hope that we can get at least all of the larger 200+ resorts done by sometime around the middle of next month.

Just wanted to post that to let people know where we are with these things.

friend

• SnowJapan Admin

OK we have made a few changes to the "Photos" section of the site in an effort to make it easier for people to post their photos on the Forums.

Basically the main change is that you can now right click and image to see the URL of the image (in Properties).

Anyway, more on that and the process of how to upload photos to SnowJapan can be found in this new thread:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/389415/GUIDE_Uploading_photos_to_Snow.html

We hope to see lots of great shots this winter!

Thanks.

• SnowJapan Admin

Made some more modifications to the Photos section.

Now, the code that you need to post a photo on these Forums is displayed below each photo. So all you need to do is "copy" the code and "paste" it into a message on here.

More details here:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/389415/GUIDE_Uploading_photos_to_Snow.html

Hi SJDavid

Yippee it works.

One thing though it asks whether the photo is a snow photo or overseas snow photo.

Could we just have a button for forum photos that way no one would need to search in there (If that makes sense)

Cheers Mate

Seemore

Originally Posted By: seemore
Hi SJDavid

Yippee it works.
One thing though it asks whether the photo is a snow photo or overseas snow photo.

Could we just have a button for forum photos that way no one would need to search in there (If that makes sense)

Cheers Mate

Seemore

rollabout

You are not supposed to upload non-snow related photos. So your kitchen photo should be "kitchen with snow outside"
  • SnowJapan Admin

Ah I understand now.

seemore, yes as thursday said we don't really want people to upload photos that aren't snow-related or japan-related - basically if they don't fit into one of the 3 categories then we would ask that you please upload those somewhere else.

The reason? Well, our Photo section would become much less useful to everyone if we allowed hundreds of photos of monkeys in buckets, granny on her 80th birthday and kebabs in the wild* up there.

And actually we don't particularly have the capacity/resources to be a general photo free hosting service either as well.

There are lots of free photo hosting services out there that cater for that.

Photos of snow/japan/overseas snow - of course very welcome and encouraged.

BTW, in this case I have moved your kitchen photo for you from the Photos section but kept it on our sever in a different place so it is visible still in that other thread. friend

Click to reveal..
* if the monkey/granny/kebab was at a ski resort, they'd be fine wink
Originally Posted By: SJ-David

The reason? Well, our Photo section would become much less useful to everyone if we allowed hundreds of photos of monkeys in buckets, granny on her 80th birthday and kebabs in the wild* up there.

Click to reveal..
* if the monkey/granny/kebab was at a ski resort, they'd be fine wink

lol best answer ever!!

BTW whats wrong with a real bona fide wild Kebab?? wink
  • SnowJapan Admin

You will need to put  before the URL of the image and after it, as before.

Can we keep the "how to post photos" discussion to that thread perhaps not this general discussion on our site updates thread? Thanks.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/388724/Feedback_about_photos.html

• SnowJapan Admin

For those with ipads and ipods with our App on, you should today notice an update in the App Store

ipad version - this update addresses (hopefully) any remaining stability issues, and there were a few graphic adjustments too

ipod version - er, corrected a spelling mistake! (sorry it took over a week, we have no control over that!)

friend

• SnowJapan Admin

Well the actual fixing only took a very short time, but Apps need to be submitted and 'reviewed' before they become available and that times the week+.

More on all that fun here:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/384508/Apps_on_computers.html