10/11 Site Updates: General info & discussion

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes just seen and replied.

Strange again nothing was changed on the Photos section at all, so there's no reason for that. Hopefully if you do what I ask it might fix up.

Seems good on 5 machines we have tested/heard from.

Thank you

• SnowJapan Admin

New Places to Stay Announcements section has been put online.

More info here:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/390322/Places_to_Stay_Announcements.html

The section itself:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/places-to-stay-announcements.html

• SnowJapan Admin

We have been experiencing a lot of traffic the last few days, setting a new record even which is earlier in the season than usual. All good of course, and we welcome all the new people.

Today we have put up a new webcam from our office, much nicer than the old one. And here it is:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/webcam/niigata/yuzawa-town-webcam.html

friend

• SnowJapan Admin

OK I'll answer this one.

No, no-one pays us anything to do these reports. These are in no way driven by resorts - or anyone else - wanting us to do them.

We are always keen to consider doing a new report section like we have here, but it takes a lot of time, effort and commitment - as well as a fair bit of work getting it all set up and sorted out. We need to be pretty sure that all those things are in place before I'll get my programmer to get a new one set up.

The idea is simply to provide as many independent and honest reports as possible, quaint as that old-fashioned style concept may be!

wink

• SnowJapan Admin

It usually involves blackmail, donuts, beer or wads of cash.

But seriously, I don't think that's the kind of thing my colleague would like me going into detail about. But as they are important to us you can perhaps imagine that it has to be more than a half-hearted volunteer basis. Each situation is different and a fair bit of work in organising and getting it all sorted.

As Andrew said, we are always open to the idea of other areas appearing, there's no agenda with picking where is covered. But it needs proper planning and assurances that it can be done properly and basically according to the way we run these things.

friend

• SnowJapan Admin

I just want to mention one important thing regarding the "resort status" data on our resort pages.

Someone just mailed us about them reading that a resort was "open" on our resort pages, going to the resort and finding out that it was closed for the day.

The resort had actually opened on the 18th December, but yesterday it closed for the day due to rain washing away the thin snow that was there. Unfortunately in the morning this info had not been updated (it had later on in the day) on our site and so when the person went to the resort found it closed and wasn't too happy with us.

Of course we are sorry to hear about that but I would like to explain this and make sure people understand how it works.

That data that is shown for resort status is provided to us and you can find more info about that here:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/aboutweather.html

Unfortunately, at times like this early season, things might change very quickly that is not reflected in the data immediately --- as that data has to get from the resorts to the info provider which is then reflected on our site.

Obviously while not happy that something like this happens, there really is nothing we can do in this particular situation.

Like we say on the above page, especially at the very beginning and end of the season it is highly recommended that you directly contact a resort or view their website to make sure that things are ok. There is very little snow around at the moment in some places and for many resorts it is still touch and go if they can open or not and when they can open day by day. They might not make that decision until the early morning and that data is not reflected on our site because it has not been provided to us.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SnowJapan Admin

For some reason, unknown as yet, the snow depth and resort status data that is usually displayed on our resort pages and charts does not seem to be appearing as it should be this morning.

We are looking into this with urgency and hope to get it sorted and back to normal as quickly as possible.

Thanks.

• SnowJapan Admin

OK that was fun. (not!)

We had to turn the whole site/forums off for a short while and you may well have encountered a strange message if you visited the Forums just a short while ago, but..... the data is now working as it should.

Sorry for the disruption to that. Blame some kind of crashing table. Or something.

friend

• SnowJapan Moderator

New versions of both our iPod/iPhone and iPad Apps have been released and should now be available on the App Store.

We have done a lot of work on the iPad version to streamline the code and minimise memory usage in and effort to try to and improve stability.