This guy I know, don't have much contact, but he sometimes sends mails with AW: (and then the subject) in the subject line of an email. What does AW stand for anyone know?

I suppose it's better than the really annoying 'no subject line' mails that come in...

You are excused Tubby.

My apologies - I was flicking out a quick response before racing out the door to take my Nan out to the Greyhounds (she LOVES it) - I should have typed the whole thing.

Gave myself a slap for being so slack.

I had some students, when I was teaching, who wrote their English essays using some of these. They were severely marked down, In ENGLISH EXAMS, FFS! And they couldn't understand that they were expected to spell and write proper English.

These were students heading for the University entry exam at the end of Year 12 (final year of secondary schooling!) and around 17 or 18 years of age, physically, NFI their mental age.

WTF??

A+ = what mark?

When I did my Leaving Certificate, I was awarded 6 B gradings. The level at which a grade of A was awarded changed every year, and could have been (for Physics, for example) at around 50% or above. On the other hand, for a subject like French, it might have been at 85% or better. The point is that the letter grade system is totally non-transparent and the cutoff marks are never notified.

I far prefer the current NSW system, where the mark at the exam is moderated by the school assessment (calculated over a year's worth of tasks of different skills and knowledge) and then combined with the exam mark for the purposes of university entry. This is stupidly brief, as I don't want to bore everyone (some will be bored anyway!).