Commonwealth Games India 2010

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear - that age old argument being brought out. Well you can have all your medals in the commonwealth, enjoy them. biggrin

It's funny - people get excited about the Olympics, World Cup, Ryder Cup etc, but commonwealth games just doesn't seem to have that same shine to them.

lol

Well at least it is amusing with moments of brilliance.

I think thousands of connies blocking up the dunny pipes is fairly well close to BRILLIANT! biggrin

Rob...yeah I know the words of Jerusalem are all about England, but it just does-na sit well with me. It's a personal preference thing. You know what they say about ex-smokers? They are the worst critics?? well It sorta holds true for those that are the 1st Gen born outside of the cold old motherland too wink

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Must have something to do with the multitude of below average competitors from third world countries...

Scotland, Wales and Northern Island? wink

The CG's are the third largest sporting event in the world, just behind the Olympics and the World Cup. They're very important to those 'Third World' countries that just happen to hold significant records: athletics = 100m track, marathon, etc, etc.

Also, the CG's are an important test bed for competitors in their respective tournaments e.g. cycling, athletics, swimming, boxing, shooting, weightlifting, etc.

I suppose many of the youth of today are too busy texting and trolling the Net rather than more wholesome endeavours ... sadface wakaranai

The CG's: It's all good.
Originally Posted By: SubZero
Must have something to do with the multitude of below average competitors from third world countries...

Exactly which Northern island are you referring to? Iceland? Greenland? Skye?
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: SubZero

Exactly which Northern island are you referring to? Iceland? Greenland? Skye?

lol A rare mispelling - Ireland ... though you could also assume it to be the UK in general. razz

I realize the Commonwealth Games are big... but seriously, what percentage of the countries competing aren't third world? There's maybe 9 countries of 25 (maybe 10 if you want to be generous)... not really much competition to get excited about. I really don't know how anyone can get excited about 4 countries taking home 70% of the medals... (which is how it stands right now... but I imagine will raise to something closer to 4 countries taking home 80% of the medals)

While that assessment is certainly accurate BM, where does it differ from the Olympic Games - IIRC Russia, China and the USA tend to take home the lions share of Gold Medals every time. It doesn't take away from the joy an Aussie will have of picking up a gold in the pool, or a Kenyan over some stupidly long distance on the track. Same holds true for the Comm Games.

I also think the smaller pool of competitors allows for countries that would normally not have a team in that event in the Olympics a chance to compete. I watched the Indian girls 4 x 100 freestyle relay tonight - they were WAY off the pace, but they are the best in their country and having the opportunity to compete at that level alone must be a thrill. They would simply not qualify for the Olympic games.

Another thumbsdown for me has been the inconsistency in DQs, and way that DQs have been handled. Being DQed for breaking is part of the territory - it happens - it is heartbreaking, but if you are outside the rules you accept your medicine ... BUT there has been significant inconsistency - that is not good in any sport.

Well, the difference for me is that some nations have the resources to field competitive teams while others do not... In the case of the Olympics there are far more countries that can put money into developing their athletes and training systems... I also think a big difference lies in the fact that at the Olympics you are likely to actually see athletes who are the best in the world in their discipline.

BTW, in the 2008 Olympics the top 4 teams only took home 23% of the total medals... a massive difference from what is happening at the CG where the top 4 have 76%.

And if we are talking about only gold medals... Top 4 teams in the Olympics took home 43%... Top 4 teams in the CG currently have 92%.

Well, the difference for me is that some nations have the resources to field competitive teams while others do not... In the case of the Olympics there are far more countries that can put money into developing their athletes and training systems... I also think a big difference lies in the fact that at the Olympics you are likely to actually see athletes who are the best in the world in their discipline.
Surely if your grievance was that some of the nations didn't have the resources to field competitive teams you would demonstrate a better distribution in the Olypmics by showing that the % of medals taken home by 3rd world countries was higher in the Olympics than in the CW Games.

You will still see athlete's that are the best in their world in their discipline in the CW Games. But only if they are also a member of the CW nations. Yes - at the Olympic Games you will see MORE worlds best.

The fact that at the Olympics there are more nations that can afford an investment in sport (or prioritize sporting achievement - thinking China here) does nothing to actually bring equality to the playing field for the impoverished nations.

Not trying to change your mind.
And I think the CW Games will be lucky to survive in the future, they are fast becoming a relic - particular when plagued by problems in India.
But I don't really understand the points you made.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Surely if your grievance was that some of the nations didn't have the resources to field competitive teams you would demonstrate a better distribution in the Olypmics by showing that the % of medals taken home by 3rd world countries was higher in the Olympics than in the CW Games.

It doesn't have to be 3rd world countries winning the medals. I just prefer not to see such lopsided results. What I mean is that there are a lot more 1st world nations who compete against each other in the Olympics making the events more interesting to watch.

Quote:

But I don't really understand the points you made.

I'm not really trying to make a point (at least I wasn't at first) rather I was simply stating that I don't think the CG are very interesting because of the lopsided results. As an example, if you were to watch any random event at the CG and the competitors are Australia, Canada, England, Nauru, Uganda, Papua New Guinea, Namibia and Ghana you don't need to know anything about that sport to know who the top 3 are going to be... that's not interesting sport to me.

I agree with BM. It's more often not that interesting as a sporting spectacle as the competition is usually lop sided. Still, any opportunity for 70 countries to come together for any reason without shooting at each other is all good news.

Also gives me another opportunity to post this. friend

Australia 47 gold

England 19 gold

Originally Posted By: Mantas
usually lop sided. Still, any opportunity for 70 countries to come together for any reason without shooting at each other is all good news.

Also gives me another opportunity to post this. friend

Australia 47 gold
England 19 gold

And we beat them in the shooting! smile

How's about the South African swimmers outburst after the breaking incident...?

I heard the interview and while he was clearly ticked off and spoke harshly about the noise makers with a perhaps less than PC choice of words under the circumstances, I failed to see how it became a massive deal with him having to apologize for his racial slurs.

News Story