Commonwealth Games India 2010

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know anything about the dumb games being in India or being in existence until this dog shit on athlete village beds hit the news.

What a lose lose lose situation. Spend the money on your povvie population or spend the money on your povvie government officials.

Good time to pull out of the Englishwealth

• 2 weeks later...

So far the Delhi Commonwealth Games have been plagued by Dengue fever, angry monkeys, snakes, filthy toilets, shoddy construction, terrorist and bad curries. This antiquated, outdated and irrellevent relic from a by-gone era may be a farce, but there is one thing that we can all still enjoy (down-under that is).

Australia 26 gold

England 6 gold

biggrin

Come on ol'chaps.... What happened to the big surge toward London 2012???

Did the GFC make all the Aussie coaches unaffordable?

Did you have to send them all back home?

wink

LOL @ Mantas baiting the Poms wink

Here is my Commonwealth Games Highlights List.

thumbsup Tomaso Dorsogna's Gold in the 4x100 Mens Freestyle. Tomaso holds a number of records at my boys school - he has always been impressive to watch swim - and it is SO cool when you get to watch these kids 'make good' and win gold at a big competition. biggrin

thumbsdown The bugs in the pool - particularly in the English teams lane in the same race as above. And the incompetent fellow trying to scoop them out with a net he had obviously never used before!

thumbsdown The Aussie Teams uniforms and the disheveled mess they were as they entered the stadium (yes it was ridiculously hot and they were kept waiting for an hour - but damn those uniforms were bad!!)

thumbsdown The low roof in the pool meaning anyone over 6'3 can't stand up properly.

thumbsdown The English team ditching their national anthem for "Jerusalem" (my 11yr old picked up the tune!)

thumbsdown Empty stadium seats everywhere. I thought it was just the pool because Indians hate swimming....but athletics was just as barren.

thumbsdown The official scale for ?Boxing? being out by 1.2kg resulting in all the athlete's doing laps and dehydrating themselves trying to shed the weight before the mistake was discovered.

thumbsdown The poor show of sportsmanship by our disqualified Aussie wrestler who refused to shake his opponents hand and when directed to do so flipped the bird at the official. Bang goes the Silver buddy!!

thumbsdown 12/50 Aussie swimmers and many other nationalities swimmers down with Delhi Belly or Gastro Enteritis suggesting the source of infection may be the pool or pool facilities. Apparently officials say the pool has tested clean, but there are also problems with the toilets not working properly.

So where are we at?

thumbsup 1 thumbsdown 8

The athletes must be loving the crowds NOT..

The media can't go on about it as they are the one's that ran the massive scare campaign in the first place.

I think the Aussie swim team came to late and didn't have enough time to adjust to the diet.

Not that I'm usually 1 to defend England BUT........

technically they didn't ditch their anthemn, GStQ is actually the official UK anthemn, not exclusive to England.....not that I or many non English use it or recognise it as their natonal anthemn. Both England and Scotland actually don't have official independent anthems, I have no knowledge of the Welsh situation.

Perhaps the baiting would be more relevant if you combined the puny amount of medals that all the Home Nations have received in comparison to Oz, after all it seems unfair to slag only England when in the Olympics the 4 compete as GB& NI and we still get a dsgraceful amount

smile

As was told to me:

God Save the Queen is indeed the National Anthem of the UK.

The usual Commonwealth anthems are:

Land of Hope and Glory for England.

Scotland the Brave for Scotland.

Land of My Fathers for the Welsh.

Jerusalem seemed like a strange choice.

Not baiting. Not really bagging the English - more the fact that it occurring was a negative for me - especially when the lassie on the Gold Medal podium said something along the lines of "What the hell was that song, Ive never even heard it before" at the end of the presentation.

And here she is in an article by the Guardian

The medal count?

Aus always does well in the Commonwealth Games...it is when the Olympics comes around I would like to see a decent result! LOL

Well there ya go...

Quote:
The National Anthem of Ireland is called "Amhrán Na bhFiann" (The Soldier's Song) and was written in 1907 by Peadar Kearne. The song actually consists of three verses and a chorus but it was the chorus which was formally adopted as the National Anthem in 1926

And it seems that Land of Hope and Glory and Jerusalem are BOTH accepted as National Songs of England (just seems dumb...coz well...it is called JERUSALEM!)

And Scotland the Brave can be swapped out with Flower of Scotland as well.

Learn something new every day lol

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Jerusalem seemed like a strange choice.
Not baiting. Not really bagging the English - more the fact that it occurring was a negative for me - especially when the lassie on the Gold Medal podium said something along the lines of "What the hell was that song, Ive never even heard it before" at the end of the presentation.

And why, oh why do they have to play it "full length" EVERY time? Surely we get the picture after the first "verse". Perhaps we should insist that they play the ENTIRETY of EVERY National Anthem - that'd mean a Veeeeery long medal ceremony - Some anthems are 6 or 7 verses, repeated tune but different lyrics.

Although I don't know about the Welsh, there actually isn't any OFFICIAL anthems designated for either Scotland and England OTHER than the full UK one of GStQ. So this creates a bit of confusion and debate amongst the people as to which song to use. "Jerusalem", while I don't know the words, is in reference to England and it was consdered that as LoH&G was a British song, they'd be better with one that refers to England itself. In Scotland we mostly use Flower of Scotland, but have in the not so distant past used Scotland the Brave. This often causes some debate as many would like a purposely wrote new song for the anthemn, me personally I like Flower of Scotland (not that I expect you'll hear t at the games too often!! smile )

Ireland's anthem doesn't really come into it its not part of the UK.

(I'd be surprised if its used for N.Ireland)

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

And it seems that Land of Hope and Glory and Jerusalem are BOTH accepted as National Songs of England (just seems dumb...coz well...it is called JERUSALEM!)

Um...

It originally came from a poem called "And did those feet in Ancient time", written by William Blake, before the hymn "Jerusalem" came about, which was sung during World War I. So not really dumb at all.

And the English public decided on the song for the national anthem with a poll. Think the English cricket team currently use it too.

Huge Commonwealth Games cock-up leads to condoms blocking drains

Delhi event's organisers 'working around the clock' to remove thousands of condoms obstructing plumbing at athletes' village

I did not make that up:

The troubled Commonwealth Games in Delhi have been hit by a new problem: thousands of condoms blocking drains at the £150m athletes' village.

Games organisers have said they will work round the clock to clear the prophylactics from pipes at the accommodation blocks housing more than 7,000 athletes and officials.

Mike Fennell, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, sought to put a positive spin on the story at a news conference, saying: "If that is happening, it shows that there is use of condoms and I think that is a very positive story. Athletes are being responsible."

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Australia 73
England 50
party

Fixed for ya, Mantas, mate. (as at 2100 AEDT)

Oh, and even adding in the other parts of UK, the count is still woeful.
ENG 12G 26S 12B = 50
SCO 1G 2S 4B = 7
WAL 0G 5S 2B = 7
NIR 0G 1S 1B = 2

All up 66. Still not nearly enough to claim parity!