• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That really sucks, but hey, I used to be a skier so ...

Then, the question is, isn't boarding as popular as skiing?

I mean who goes to the snow more often? Sarary-man don't/can't so it's the students and the young ones board.

Is there a boarder only resort in that caliber?

Because I can ski and board, and I don't see the reason to segrigate.

People can be annoying regardless of the number of planks they wear.

I'm not disputing that SOME like that idea of skiers-only,

But is that the majority? No I don't think so. So they are marketing it for people who likes that exclusiveness.

Why Okushiga? is my question. And still, why not a boarders resort?

Interested in the demographics and the mentality in Japan.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I'm not disputing that SOME like that idea of skiers-only,
But is that the majority? No I don't think so.

Er, yeah, well, yeah, that is probably why there are only a handful of ski resorts that are "skiers-only".

wakaranai

Rather than try marketing to "everyone" as most resorts do, some select skiers-only places have a more targeted audience and do fairly well because of it. I rememember SJ1 talking about NASPA in Yuzawa doing pretty good doing this very same thing - it's what they emphasise in their marketing, and for that group of people who for whatever reason prefer these things it is an attractive package.

Ah! common sense, that would be a good debate.

Seems like a lot of resorts in Japan have closed or have problems attracting customers. Whether that is an issue of common sense or marketing (GN will have a rave about that for sure razz wink )

I won't get into that boom and bust and marketing advantage of "skier's only" but the adaptability and business model of ski resorts are clearly thumbsdown in Japan.

Although, that could be an advantage for the average, student, and traditional japanese snow goers, because of the down-to-earth, on the cheap experience you can get compared to money exploited resorts (Australia for example)

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Do you think the "skier only resort" is value added? A bit more expensive?

I think that for older people who are perhaps quite well off and consider boarding to be an atrocity, they're probably quite happy to spend a bit more to ensure their runs aren't spoilt by the boarders they dislike so much

Most skiers don't mind, hence why there aren't a lot more

As for boarders only fields - Do any exist anywhere?
Originally Posted By: SKI
As far as I know, a lift ticket at Okushiga or Naspa or any other skier-only ski resort costs the same as any other.

So..... what are you talking about?

Do they have more luxury style eating options? Or make more money off of these options than other resorts?

If they neither charge more, nor make more from any luxury services, then maybe they're just staying skier only because that's their philosophy.

They are doing it because it the market exists, there are people who want to go to skier-only resorts and they are providing that service and actively marketing to those people.

Is that really so hard to understand?

They are doing it because it the market exists, there are people who want to go to skier-only resorts and they are providing that service and actively marketing to those people.

Is that really so hard to understand?

And all that I am saying is - If there is a market for it, why don't they exploit that market more

Not sure I understand. They are already appealing to that market. That's the point of this particular line of conversation isn't it.

Does the same apply to the rest of the ski resorts that allow both skiers and snowboarders? Thats a market too. Why don't they exploit that market more?

So, what do you mean?

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Japanese don't think skiing or snowboarding is cheap.
Quite the opposite in fact.
How much overseas resorts charge is irrelevant.

It isn't irrelevant if your ski tourism is an ever increasing sector.

Not to mention that the snow quality will continue to ensure increasing numbers from overseas, even if the prices increase. Skiing in Japan is like this cult thing atm in NZ - a few people talk about going, or planning to go, and I have this feeling that in the next few years it's going to take off the way Aussies going to Japan did.
Then there is the increase in number of Visas available to the Chinese.

It is largely irrelevant for most Japanese ski resorts.

Other than the big names beginning for N and H and SK and one or two others, the % of foreigners skiing and snowboarding is miniscule.

(NZ. Yeah, massive population there! And the word 'cult'. That brings up dreams of millions of skiers too doesn't it.)

That may or may not change in the future of course.

But anyway back to your skiers-only 'argument' --- what do you mean?

It is largely irrelevant for most Japanese ski resorts.
Other than the big names beginning for N and H and SK and one or two others, the % of foreigners skiing and snowboarding is miniscule.
(NZ. Yeah, massive population there! And the word 'cult'. That brings up dreams of millions of skiers too doesn't it.)

That may or may not change in the future of course.

But anyway back to your skiers-only 'argument' --- what do you mean?

I'm just surprised they don't charge for anything more considering they probably get more well off snobs.

End of argument for me, because it's 12.21am here and I'm going to go watch a movie with Mr Minty