We are after budget accommodation near shuttle buses, near ski fields and near a few restaurants. We are three families who dont need much nightlife, just a good meal and a chilled out place to hang in the evenings

Any recommendations between Snow beds Backpackers at Echoland, Penke Panke at Wadano and The Lab in Happo?

We are booked in at Penke Panke for feb 2011. Last time we where in the area we stayed at Brownies cabins in Echo land great for familys but had to catch shuttles every where.Penke Panke looks like a short walk across the road slip on the skis and away you go.Also quite a few places to eat close by. smile

See Sanjo's comment The Lab is a supporter of here. You could email the guys listed with your requirements as some act as property managers for a wide range of places, not just their own.

I haven't stayed at either of the places in Echoland so cant directly comment but both the Lab and Snowbeds are on the shuttle services - these are great although getting back to Echoland in the middle of the day should you want to isn't as easy as you would assume but no real problem. Both are in easy walking distance of the Echoland restaurant/bar area although I'm thinking Snowbirds is closer.

I like this area as it is small and pretty laid back. Try a chicken burger at "Sounds Like Cafe", not quite what you expect but yummy all the same. Happy hour at the Whitehorse was a great way to start a chilled evening, even if sometimes it didn't end that way smile

Yes I always check the snow japan site first.Have booked our last 3 accom from the pages dont know how I got on to Penke Panke see some Ausies have purchased it recently.Klebber dont worry I always check the accom on trip adviser to check peoples comments and ratings thumbsupWill be letting the guys know about SJ site when we are there :)Yes panhead the return shuttles did not start untill 2.00pm when we where last there.Did not worry my sons and I but wife wanted to go home at lunch time once but unable. guess she could of caught a taxi.Echo land is great and highly recommend the brownies cabins for groups and familys.also a good place to let off your fire works purchased from the store. clap

Personally, I often take what I read on review sites with pinches of salt. There are some seriously dubious goings on with some places - owners and enemies posting wildly different stories. Not meaning about Japan in particular, just in general. And of course, not for all places. (Disclaimers are always good to shout out before you get shouted out at)

Stayed at Snowbeds like 7-8 years ago twice and didnt mind it. It is right on the bus line so getting to resorts is a pinch, walking distance of onsens, restaurants, and bars. I think at around 10pm it was volume down on the telly/stereo so the only noise really were all the drunks coming in late at night stammering around. Dont know if I had a family that Id stay there though. Just my 2 yen.

• SnowJapan Moderator

Just deleted a few posts.

Sorry this is not a thread to list links of outside websites and/or a thread for throwing thinly disguised hatred out on people you don't like, for whatever reason.

The - unchanged for years - Forums guidelines are quite clear in that respect.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: klebber
Friends of ours stayed in Penke last year. They came back very displeased with the service they had (can try to get details) but I remember they said that they would never go back or recommend the place to anyone.

Rude hosts.
Not very clean or looked after when they want.