We stayed at Happo in Morino Lodge three years ago and both the skiing and the accommodation were great

From memory the best uninterrupted long intermediate runs were on Happo,the runs on Goryu were shorter and had more flat bits in between the intermediate sections. Also on 47 it was great but we had to dodge the snowboarders. Am I remembering correctly?

This year we have friends coming who have suggested staying at Goryu because they found cheap accommodation there, but it would mean eating out every night.

So two questions:

Which is the better skiing for intermediates to advanced. Goryu, 47 or Happo?

Is there much in the way of restaurants and easy transport to other resorts at Goryu compared to Happo/Wadano or is it pretty isolated?

I don't know why you would feel locked in to one or the other.

We stayed only two full days in Hakuba last March and managed to have a taste of all of the above.

Day1: Happo

Day2: Goryu/47 - I preferred Goryu side myself.

although that opinion is subject to change after experiences this coming January...

Shuttle buses and accommodation drop off's should easily get you to whichever you would like to be at on any given day. Why restrict yourself to just one place. Share the love.

Thanks and yeah, snowboarders are great so long as they are in control. Maybe it is just in Oz that we get a few radicals that think they are expert when they are still newbies!

Sounds like exploring all three is the go

Thanks and yeah, snowboarders are great so long as they are in control. Maybe it is just in Oz that we get a few radicals that think they are expert when they are still newbies!

Sounds like exploring all three is the go

We enjoyed all three resorts in 2009 Goryu and 47 are great and we could do both on the one lift pass.Happo was great and a little steeper.Will have to try some of the other feilds next year as well. You can not go wrong. have not me partyt a ski feild I dont like yet.

Originally Posted By: ttuchin
We stayed at Happo in Morino Lodge three years ago and both the skiing and the accommodation were great

From memory the best uninterrupted long intermediate runs were on Happo,the runs on Goryu were shorter and had more flat bits in between the intermediate sections. Also on 47 it was great but we had to dodge the snowboarders. Am I remembering correctly?

This year we have friends coming who have suggested staying at Goryu because they found cheap accommodation there, but it would mean eating out every night.

So two questions:

Which is the better skiing for intermediates to advanced. Goryu, 47 or Happo?

Is there much in the way of restaurants and easy transport to other resorts at Goryu compared to Happo/Wadano or is it pretty isolated?

Some nice eateries in the Goryu area.
pizza, izakayas (Japanese style pub), Italian, fine dining, subway sandwiches, coffee shops, late night bars.
If you want, there is a night time shuttle bus to get you over to the other apres ski areas of Hakuba