It happened 30km from christchurch - the city that a large portion of NZ's rrecreational skiers live in.

It was absolutely terrifying. Mr Minty got to the doorway and was trying to coax me on because I was getting thrown around and the chandelier was swaying dangerously over my exit route.

It lasted for over a minute, and there was an hour of constant aftershocks about 1 min apart afterwards.

It felt like a rippling through your house because of the gravel bed that christchurch is built on.

Well, we are fine, never lost water or power, our chimneys didn't fall in and the house is wooden so all in one piece. We found our cats at about 10am.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
wow...didn't know that NZ was susceptible to quakes!! Did any buildings fall down? any fatalities? Hope everyone is ok

Hehe, we sure are - we're right on two plates, there is the main divide down the south island which is constantly building up the southern alps (where most of NZ's ski fields are)
Ruapehu (Whakapapa and Turoa) is a active volcano
There are Active and dormant volcanos scattered around NZ, and Auckland has over 50 volcanic cones in the city. Most extinct.

A huge amount of damage - well into the millions.
No damage here, but liquification happened in suburbs five minutes drive to the northeast from us.

No fatalities that i've heard of

when the solid ground (typical made of sand or some other unstable material) shakes so hard that it takes on the properties of liquid, so anything built on top of it starts to sink into it as if it was water

but its Liquefaction

Well we have a lot of geothermal hot spots as well, and welly and napier experience frequent earthquakes too (I felt a moderate one a few years ago, apparently it was a 6.something) - rotorua, taupo, hanmer and maruia springs, so I'd say we're close to Japan for activity.

Aw, TB, you should correct the reporters here in NZ that have been saying liquification.

Mount Hutt avalanches

The destructive earthquake also caused some avalanches on the Mount Hutt ski field, which is popular with Australian holidaymakers.

The ski area manager, David Wilson, says they are assessing the infrastructure to decide whether or not to open the ski field.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Mount Hutt avalanches

The destructive earthquake also caused some avalanches on the Mount Hutt ski field, which is popular with Australian holidaymakers.

The ski area manager, David Wilson, says they are assessing the infrastructure to decide whether or not to open the ski field.

Glad it hit at night...

While the earth quake has shocked many, this one got me. A skydiver´s nightmare.

It´s sad and crazy that people die on their first skydive and perhaps their only skydive that will be an experience of their lifetime, while other´s with thousands of jumps are still kicking. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10671083

A lot of plane accidents happen while take off. No time to bail out.

We had a dust devil chase our plane pararell along the runway while take off. Never seen so many faces turn so blue ...

I think it´s safer to jump off a hot air baloon.