Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I recently moved to Taiwan from Colorado and are thinking about heading to Japan during Chinese New Year to do some skiing. We're a bit broke so will probably only be able to afford like 4-5 days skiing, then hand out some in Tokyo, Kyoto etc.

Anyway, there are so many resorts in Japan! I've done some research and have come across the big names, but I was hoping you guys could give me some first-hand recommendations based on the following criteria:

1. Not too expensive. Ideally, we'd like to ski somewhere that dumps snow (which seems the norm for Japan) but also isn't the priciest, and has reasonably priced hotel accomodations.

2. Tree skiing. My girlfriend and I like to ski/ride in the trees. Doesn't have to be anything too crazy or anything, but enough to get off the main trails and get lost in some trees.

3. Crowds. Really would like to avoid crowds. Along the same lines, we're more interested in experiencing a ski area with a more mellow, Japanese feel rather than huge swarms of tourists (I've heard Niseko has just as many foreigners as Japanese)

4. Don't really care about apres ski at all, although the Japanese hot springs do sound really nice and it would be cool to ski somewhere where we could do that. We're more the "go hard all day, have a big dinner with a few beers, pass out early and rise early for first tracks" kind of people.

5. Not TOO flat. I'm not diehard about steeps or anything, I do like them but we just don't want anything too flat as my girlfriend is a boarder and hates, for example, Vail, where there are a million catwalks and flat zones.

Any thoughts? Based on my research, I was initially really drawn to Zao (hotsprings + snow monsters were a huge plus for me, hehe), but it seems like it's super flat and doesn't have that much challenging terrain. For those who have been to Zao, how much of a pain in the ass are the flats for boarders, and is there enough advanced terrain to keep a decently advanced skier busy for 4-5 days? Also, Rusutsu (sp?) looks pretty intriguing-- they look to have a lot of terrain and trees-- but I'm wondering how much it costs to stay, eat, ski, etc there. Seems like they just have the one big resort hotel as far as accommodation options go. Also, how much a pain in the ass/expensive is it to fly to hokkaido vs. staying on the main island to ski? And, is the snow festival in Sapporo worth checking out for a first time visiter to Japan?

Any reccomendations/thoughts on ski areas to look into would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the long post!

Thanks,

Peter

In a bit of a rush now, but I would not say Zao is "super flat" at all. It just isn't, apart from a few connecting areas but they are a tiny part of it.

Will try to write more some time later, got to go pick up my car now.

Hi PS

Welcome to the site.

Not sure if you are aware but there is an international airport at Sapparo you may be able to fly direct to there as I know I can from Beijing. The Spring Festival time would be a great time to be around Chinese people though, including those in Taiwan.

I have only been to Hakuba and there is enough terrian there to meet all your needs from riding a carpet to as steep BC as you need. Happo One has a wide variety of terrain and will take a few days to fully cover and is only one of several resorts in the area. Relatively easy to get to Hakuba from Narita too. Two trains and a bus. You'll find onsens (hot springs) at all the places. If you have tattoos it may or may not be an issue.

Huge range of accomdation there as well. Just look at the accomadation section on this site. I'm staying with the same crew I did last year. Search on my posts and you'll find it but by no means are they the only guys. Im hoping to get to Shiga Kogen this season as well.

Hope this is of some value. Remember most of us found our way to this site with excattly the same questions you have. There are no stupid ones although the search function is also a great tool.

Now I hope this doesnt post 3 times....

Rusutsu or Niseko are great for off-piste tree skiing but CNY is busy at both resorts and an expensive time to come. Well it is in Niseko, not sure if Rusutsu push up prices over that period.

Do you mean for skiing + lodging + food or just lodging? hehe, if you mean just lodging then yeah we'd never be able to afford that and even as a package deal that's probably pushing it... 1 man = 10000 yen, correct?

Is it impossible to avoid crowds during CNY? Would we be better off trying to get some other time off? We get CNY off from work but we also have a few other days to use...

As a boarder who has visited Zao I would have to disagree a bit with Muika. If you are planning on staying in one area the flats don't effect you too much but if you are trying to range over the mountain a bit then you'll find it a huge pain. There also isn't much in the way of tree skiing or off piste. Personally, I think that 4-5 days there would be too much. If you want to check out the snow monsters then it's a great place and I won't want to deter you from going because I had a wicked time when I visited there (but it was a 3 day trip and I was focused a bit more on relaxing than on charging the hills)

My recommendation would be for either Hakuba or Myoko Kogen. Everyone has an opinion about Hakuba and it's a place I often visit. Because of it's popularity with Japanese it tends to be pretty crowded and this would apply doubley for the CNY.

Myoko actually checks all the boxes for you as it isn't too touristy, expensive or crowded, offers plenty of easily accessed tree runs, has loads of hot spring facilities, and has that Japanese feel to the place. There isn't much in the way of things to do at night but you don't seem all that interested in it.

I would suggest Shiga Kogen......HUGE rideable terrain, with all sorts for all levels. We just used the onsen in our hotel so I'd guess that most hotels have onsen facilities. Nowt to do at night, but thats ok with you.

Or Myoko.....for much the same reasons. Less terrain to ride than SK but quality of snow is very high.

These 2 places are unlikely to be affected by CNY as well so numbers won't be that high.

Originally Posted By: p_schumacher
Do you mean for skiing + lodging + food or just lodging? hehe, if you mean just lodging then yeah we'd never be able to afford that and even as a package deal that's probably pushing it... 1 man = 10000 yen, correct?

Is it impossible to avoid crowds during CNY? Would we be better off trying to get some other time off? We get CNY off from work but we also have a few other days to use...

Actually, first ski trip to Japan, you cannot get a better welcome than Niseko. Your language barrier is lowered considerably compared to Honshu and you have the best snow in Japan.

I meant 3man for the hotel with breakfast and eveing meal. Onsen onsite is a must. That is the going price for CNY at a very hotel in Niseko I'm afraid. They'll open for booking 3 months in advance, so maybe you can take your luck.

Visitors to Hokkiado from Taiwan number around 300,000 annually. By far the largest group from overseas. THe flights and infrastructure won't the a problem.

Plus I've found a lot of nightlife and eateries in Sapporo have Chinese speaking staff (students moonlighting).

I was in Niseko last year during the CNY period (I think), we found a Japanese pension style hotel, 3-4 mns walk from the lifts that was reasonable. Think it was 7 man for the flight + hotel for 3 nights. Lift ticket was extra

Another vote for Hakuba but everyone knew that. Nine resort areas in the valley means you can find some space. Plenty of accommodation options for under 10000 yen. Good places for around 5000 yen + meals + lift tickets. I know nothing about the apres scene so can't help you there. Weeell, may be a little but happy to not assist. Snow, eat and drink as good as you can. That's what I know.

On honshu it's always knee deep. wink

Jokes aside, in Hokkaido, it was nice, dry, fluffy snow.

On honshu, kinda wet and sticky towards the end of the day. If it snows at night, then morning is usually good.

Originally Posted By: p_schumacher
Also: how reliable is the snow in Japan? Is it really considerably better in Hokkaido, or is the snow quality/quantity pretty consistent/awesome on the main island as well?

I'd say Hokkaido resorts have some of the most reliable powder snow conditions on the planet. I reckon you'd struggle to find any other resorts in the world that would beat the number of powder days resorts like Niseko, Rusutsu and Kiroro receive each season.