Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
whats a surface lift?? like a travelator/moving belt type thing?

T-bar, poma and rope tow are the ones I know of. Anything that actually drags you up the mountain as opposed to carrying you.
ah ok, thats what i thought, but MB threw me off. I thought she meant the moving belt thingy.

Haven't seen any, thankfully. I hate them

lol
So it's all MY fault!!

I wasn't referring to the 2 magic carpets at Hanazono anyway.... it is a rope tow. In fact is is CALLED 'Rope Tow' and runs just after the Hanazono Quad Two to Renraku and Holiday runs - to get you back via the greens.

But Tubby.... you and I both! I hate them as well.
Managed to stack it face first TWICE off the stoopid Basin t-bar at Thredbo last trip - felt like a complete goose.
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
whats a surface lift?? like a travelator/moving belt type thing?

T-bar, poma and rope tow are the ones I know of. Anything that actually drags you up the mountain as opposed to carrying you.

I call them nad grabbers

I think it would be funny trying to ride a t-bar in Japan after a meter of powder snow overnight - hysterically funny.

Quite the opposite to being at the mercy of the howling wind at Thredbo on a slick shiny t-bar track!

Son of a friend was having a ball on one of the t-bars at Charlotte Pass a few years ago.

The lift in question crosses what would be a road in the summer, and the lift is quite a steep pull. He was a bit on the light side and was dragged into the air every time he went up. Lifties had a go at him, but he said it was their fault, not his - they were running too quick, making the "lift" on the rope greater than his weight could keep down.

Gave him some free jumps practice!

Haven't been there in many years, but Senjojiki in the Chuo Alps had the weirdest rope tow I've ever seen: two pieces of 1x0.5-inch, foot-long boards in a T shape, with a couple of big lugnuts screwed into the crosspiece. The tow was a steel wire, and you cruised up to it, somehow slotted the wire between the lugs and gave the longpiece a twist to lock it in. Then you held on for dear life and hoped to whatever god(s) you believe in that you wouldn't wind up getting your hands carried through the bullwheel at the top.

But...it was lift-served skiing in Honshu in late June!

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
Haven't been there in many years, but Senjojiki in the Chuo Alps had the weirdest rope tow I've ever seen: two pieces of 1x0.5-inch, foot-long boards in a T shape, with a couple of big lugnuts screwed into the crosspiece. The tow was a steel wire, and you cruised up to it, somehow slotted the wire between the lugs and gave the longpiece a twist to lock it in. Then you held on for dear life and hoped to whatever god(s) you believe in that you wouldn't wind up getting your hands carried through the bullwheel at the top.
But...it was lift-served skiing in Honshu in late June!

Sounds a cracker that one.

My friend told me about the one at Madarao, that sounds like it's worth a go just for the scares.