• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I'm beginning to think this was all publicity to promote the DPJ... I think Kan winning was a foregone conclusion from the outset of this 'election'.

Like a conspiracy? Do you think they're that smart?

Well, I remember that the LDP did the same thing when Aso was taking over. They had a party leadership 'election' to try and take attention away from the DPJ and to try and give Aso legitimacy. They stupid thing was they admitted as much in media interviews. I don't think the DPJ have some kind of conspiracy going but maybe they just weren't stupid enough to announce why they were actually having this 'election'. The really funny thing is that people are walking around saying 'thank goodness that Kan is still the prime minister' when he was never elected for the position in the first place.

I thought the reason for the election was made pretty clear: Ozawa's ego. He dropped in on Kan one day, and the conversation went something like:

Ozawa: "Hey, I gotta great idea, how about you share some of that power you got with me and Hatoyama, and we can all rule as, like, a troika. It'll be great!"

Kan: "Uh, I don't think so. We're kind of trying to take this party away from you and everything you stand for, you see."

Ozawa: "Bummer. Well, can you at least give me a cabinet position or something?"

Kan: "..."

Ozawa: "Hey, toss me a bone here, will you? I'll do anything. Anything you want me to do?"

Kan: "I want you to shut up and go away."

Ozawa: "You take that back! Or it's war. I have lots of people who owe me favors in this party, and you know you have the charisma of a lamp post. I'll cream you."

Kan: "Fine, see you on election day. Oops, here come the cameras. Hold hands and smile!"

His faction was shut out of the new cabinet. He's busy dealing with legal issues relating to his real estate financing shenanigans, so is not in a position to fight back at the moment, it seems. Once the news cycle on that goes into a lull, I'm guessing he'll probably be back on the attack at the first blunder or sign of weakness on Kan's part.

• 2 months later...