Types of accommodation - asking for feedback!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We never have a problem booking ours into the kennel.

Our greyhound trainer does boarding on the side (it is such a good cash business) and the two we have are his ex-racers .... so he can't knock them back lol

Although they often don't get the air conditioned kennel block with multiple flat screen tv's for the fluffy armchair puppies amusement pleasure that the boarders get .... ours think they are back in work and go romp around in the paddock with the young pups! It's like a health retreat for them.

One of our rats gets a bit upset when we leave them for a couple of days and she does let me know everytime we come back... though most animals have a remarkable ability to forgive, compared to human and eh, donkeys.

yeah, it saddens me when people have pets and thinks as it as cuddly things.

I would never get a dog. They are pack animals. Dogs need other dogs. If I do, I´ll get at least 2 or 3.

We would love to get horses in the future, and they will be free roaming paddock paradise with open shelters.

If we end up in OZ, we are going to adopt some brumbies.

Even our rats roam free in our rooms. The cage is never closed so they are not a caged animal. We are just a big rat to them, and that´s a privilege we earned.

All fine in theory, but brumbies are NOT generally available for adoption. They roam free in the high country. What are you going to do with your "adoption" money? send them food parcels?

Rats belong in traps! Sorry, they are vermin, and do not have ANY endearing qualities. I certainly hope you do not try to bring them with you when you come back to Oz. (Customs and Immigration would be just a tiny bit sceptical, and likely require a VERY long stay in quarantine for them). Black death? ring any bells?

No, I´m talking about buying brumbies. You can get them from Toowoomba. Also from Snowy Mt, W.A, lot of places out there.

The reason I used the term adoption is that legally it is not yours for the initial first year. USA have similar programs for their mustangs. I need the land to keep them first but.

Black death are caused by fleas. Not rats. Like mossies and mararia.

Rats are very intelligent. Defo more than some dogs (toy dogs like poodles etc) . Our rats display the intelligence of a 2year old kid with some problem solving abilities that surprises me. Also shows empathetic qualities.

The most shapest one is a real moody bugger. When she is in a bad mood... she has very sharp teeth. She has learnt to control her biting but still she can bleed me. But she does come back to apologise and lick me. My wife doesn´t get bitten by her, because she sees warning in her eyes. But this one and I have a close bond. She listens to me and understands my orders.

All our rats knows their own names. They understand NO, but doesn´t necessary obey, being rats, sometimes they do things to get attention. They are also toilet trained.

We cannot move from Germany until the term of their life. It´s very difficult for me to leave animals I have bonded with.

I know a few race horses that if I´d won the lotto, I`d have them.

Others´own them but I feel they belong to me.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Black death are caused by fleas. Not rats. Like mossies and mararia.

Rats have fleas ...

Rats are very intelligent. Defo more than some dogs (toy dogs like poodles etc) .

No argument there!! Some of them are just mops with 4 legs!
Our rats display the intelligence of a 2year old kid

That's an interesting statement.
Originally Posted By: JA
Our rats display the intelligence of a 2year old kid

That's an interesting statement.

I reckon since one of mine was reading Dr Seuss books by himself when he was two years old ... your rat must be pretty darn special Jynxx wink

I started reading at 3. I have memories of earlier times, but I couldn´t read.

Ruth, our rat is very special.

Most rats are short sighted but she is not.

She is very clear of what she doesn´t like and will let us know. Often with a mild bite. A gentle bite is a expression of tenderness and you will know the difference. She won´t let me pick her up or stroke her when she doesn´t want to. She will push away.

One day, another rat just wouldn´t come out from below the sofa. They are only allowed to roam in the bedroom at night and I wanted them out of the living/Kitchen. I ended up asking Ruth to get her. She went under, had a chat, the other one ran back to our bedroom, Ruth walks up to the door and looks back at me and waits for me as if saying, let´s go.

Damn. always ask an animal.

Sorry! Rat = rodent! (Look up definition if you don't believe)

"The fancy rat is a domesticated brown rat (Rattus norvegicus), which is the most common type of pet rat" and "The black rat (Rattus rattus) (alt. ship rat, roof rat, house rat, Alexandrine rat, old English rat) is a common long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents)." (from wikipedia)

And, the black death plague was caused buy rat borne fleas -

"Transmission

Y. pestis is found in animals throughout the world, most commonly in rats but occasionally in other wild animals, such as prairie dogs. Most cases of human plague are caused by bites of infected animals or the infected fleas that feed on them. In almost all cases, only the pneumonic form of plague (see Forms of Plague) can be passed from person to person." Source: http://www.medicinenet.com/plague/page2.htm#spread

I gotta say, the whole idea of pet rats just does not work for me.

A rat is sort of a squirrel with no fashion sense; my family had a pet squirrel when I was a kid. The damn thing was dumb as a post, crapped any & everywhere, bit my kid sister twice and my mom once. After it bit my sis the second time, it got ``freed'' out into the back yard. A few days later we found it on the front porch, quite dead, in the same place our trusty old tomcat typically left his bluejay trophies -- I'm just saying...