Types of accommodation - asking for feedback!

Don't think you want to get into Japanese/Western in that list as many places are a mix of both.

Agree with the backpacker/hostel thing too - after all, I can only see one "youth hostel" on the list anyway.

But generally I think muikabochi's list is closest to best.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muika's list, but lodge and B&B are splitting hairs in my opinion. Lodge just sounds more upmarket, though in reality some pensions/B&B could well be much nicer. A lot of the nicest of all places will end up in "hotels", and if they can go into a category that also encompasses some much less atrractive options, I don't see why others can't go in the same category as places they believe to be beneath them. As for the meals, most pensions will let you stay breakfast only and quite a few with no meals at all. People are much more flexible now.

Youth hostel and backpacker are different in the the former run a member scheme, probably have same sex rooms, and maybe a curfew too. However, there aren't many genuine ones in ski towns.

Any length restrictions on the category names?

People without Japan experience are unlikely to understand the distinctions among minshuku/pension/ryokan/lodge.

They are likely to be interested in knowing if they'll be sleeping on futon or bed, or have a choice.

Another consideration is that as I understand it, `pension' has a rather different meaning in Europe, so could be confusing.

That's why I suggested lodge as a neutral term that the amenities for specific places could expand on.

Of course, if this is all aimed mainly at people familiar with Japanese accommodations and the related terminology, well, that's different.

• SnowJapan Admin

We want the section to be aimed to basically "everyone" - in terms of actual numbers, there are more from overseas than from within Japan as you might expect. That is why we want something that is clear to everyone and so perhaps the idea of grouping a few similar words together is a good idea.

Thanks again for the feedback.....

Categories I'd like to see:

Places with frilly pink polyester bedcovers made in 1975

Places with only strange fishy stuff for breakfast

Places heated to 45 degrees that completely dry out sinuses

Places owned and run by Aussies with sloppy hygiene standards

Just a suggestion.

Originally Posted By: grazza
Categories I'd like to see:

Places with frilly pink polyester bedcovers made in 1975
Places with only strange fishy stuff for breakfast
Places heated to 45 degrees that completely dry out sinuses
Places owned and run by Aussies with sloppy hygiene standards

Just a suggestion.

Why not just pm Go Native and see if he has any spare rooms? wink
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
There's Mamabear for you - husband away and she's playin' away!

wink
lol
wave Just trying to keep myself awake until the 17yr old calls to be picked up from the city. Blasted trains on strike...well not officially on strike, just 78 drivers all called in sick this evening - not like it was organized or anything... rolleyes
  • SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Any length restrictions on the category names?

Not technically (I don't think), but we don't particularly want them to be getting too long.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to that.

With all the differing thoughts on B&B / pension / inn / lodge, it might be an idea to just have those all in one category together. Of course, people will be able to find out the differences between the listings on the details for each property....

We are struggling to find accommodation in Hakuba for Jan 2011 that will also accept dogs. Yes its a family trip and apparently that includes the 2 toy poodles. We will be driving up from Tokyo 6 people plus the dogs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi makisean

We might just ask places for future updates on the listing pages about that.

In the meantime, I suggest you contact some of the places you like the look of on our Hakuba page:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/hakuba-nagano-accommodation.html

I'm sure they will get back to you promptly with help.

Thanks

Yes. Japan is famous for its `pet hotels´ especially for psuedo dogs like poodles which the owner demands human standards for catering.

I saw on telly that you can order O-setchi ryori (new years cuisine) for dogs.

Originally Posted By: SJ-David
We might just ask places for future updates on the listing pages about that.

That would be a great idea. thumbsup

Thursday: Pet hotels are not so easy to use, actually, since their reception times are generally only during office hours, and ski trips often involve hitting the road early in the morning and getting back late at night. Much easier to take Gonta along, if possible.

Could always leave them there the evening before - cost an extra day's board, but worth it for the peace of mind - what we used to do when we had 2 border collies.