Types of accommodation - asking for feedback!

• SnowJapan Admin

In October, we are going to be making some improvements to our Places to Stay section and one of those is making the Accommodation Type categories in our Places to Stay section simpler. One thing that we are still debating is the naming of categories for different types of accommodation. We have of course been discussing this here for a while as well as asking a number of other people, but I thought it might be a good idea to open this up and get some feedback from people on here.

As with many things like this, there are going to be a lot of differing opinions on the best way to do this, but hearing more of them will help us make our final decisions.

I can't give full details of how we are adjusting things right now but we are keen to finish up with categories that are fair, cover pretty much everything and also importantly are clear - so things like deluxe, luxury and other terms that can be interpreted very differently by different people are avoided. And not too many of them.

I won't give our current favoured list, as that might influence any feedback - but things like

Hotel

Ryokan

Apartments

etc

...is the sort of thing that we are looking for.

Anyway any help most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perhaps a clarification of what each means/includes as a general rule also... it took me a while of being here before I worked out what a Ryokan might be like. Not a lot of people will play for a year before looking to make a booking - they want to come in get the info they need and disappear.

Bearing the western market in mind a clear understanding of whether a property or class of properties might have western toilets and beds or not would be good to know. Save someone from booking and having Mrs have a shock upon arrival, or prevent someone looking for adventure, looking forward to the tatami bedding experience and ending up with a plush western style bed.

But I like Muika's list.

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks.

We do intend to give general descriptions of the categories like that Mamabear, though details like the toilets will need to be in the actual listing pages. (Good point, we will make that a point when dealing with traditional places).

friend

I love making my kids use traditional toilets wink They are so used to western loo's and so prissy about it. It makes me lol .

Even if there were western loo's around the corner I reckon I would tell them there isn't just for the LOL factor.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I wouldn't do too many.

Here's my initial idea

Hotel
Chalets/Cottages
B&B / Pension
Lodge
Ryokan
Backpacker
Apartments / Condos
Youth Hostel

I do like this list but what is the difference between Youth Hostel and Backpacker, I would combine these 2.
Originally Posted By: sand

I do like this list but what is the difference between Youth Hostel and Backpacker, I would combine these 2.

Was thinking the same. Unless you want to differentiate so you are not staying in a place full of Youths...which would be terrible

From a Japanese perspective ...

Hotel

Ryokan

Minshuku - meaning family owned § run accomodation including chalets, pension, lodge, cottage. These are just for name´s sake and are not necessary descriptive of the type of accomodation, but we get the idea.

Like pete said, chalet and pension is similar in Europe.

perhaps categorise if they do breakfasts and dinner.

Hotel

Condo/Chalet

Lodge (Japanese style)

Lodge (Western style)

Hostel/Dorm

The amenity diffs could be listed specific to the lodge; that and a rough pricing guide (maybe pp/night under 10,000/, 10,000-20,000, 20,000+) should give most people a fair idea of what to expect

As everyone seems agree, the simpler the better.

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks for the feedback folks, keep it coming!

About pricing/charges - that's something that we won't be putting on the main index/lists --- the info will of course be on the accommodation listing pages themselves, as it is now.

It's a difficult one that. Different types often have widely differing pricing structures - room only / 2 meals etc / lift ticket, etc - and also some have a very wide range of pricing.

friend

• SnowJapan Admin

Well yes we would also wish to avoid the chance of that kind of thing happening as well.

Not that anyone would surely be so devious of course. omg

I think Slippery Jim has the list nailed.

The detail should be in the detail listings (duh!)

Thursday's simplistic list might be OK for locals, but for gaigin, there is a need to define things a tiny bit more, and give people an idea about what to expect at each level, then detain it further in the individual listings.

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
Hotel
Condo/Chalet
Lodge (Japanese style)
Lodge (Western style)
Hostel/Dorm

The amenity diffs could be listed specific to the lodge; that and a rough pricing guide (maybe pp/night under 10,000/, 10,000-20,000, 20,000+) should give most people a fair idea of what to expect
As everyone seems agree, the simpler the better.

That list does not cover places that are mixed styles.
And if you did that with every catergory, the list would become large.

I´m wondering about Dorms. Traditionally in Japan, these were called `Skier´s Bed´ long before backpackers. Hotels and Ryokans never have had them, but often others´ did. Now we have dedicated B´packers, it will be great if we can find out which ones have bunks.

I like Muika's list:

Hotel

Chalets/Cottages

B&B / Pension

Lodge

Ryokan

Backpacker

Apartments / Condos

Youth Hostel

Might combine backpacker/hostel as previously suggested, and add minshuku. Could also split "hotel" into "business hotel" and "resort hotel," though I suppose you are unlikely to get many listings from business hotels so perhaps moot. Perhaps expand "B&B/Pension" to "B&B/Pension/Inn"?

In general, probably best to use the Japanese term where provided (by the establishment itself), rather than trying to "translate" everything to some pseudo-equivalent English term that doesn't quite map one-to-one, and thereby create confusion. Then have a separate explanatory page for reference. (Google turns up some examples of such pages.)

Just some thoughts.

Fully understand the decision to exclude pricing; that's a difficult thing to keep simple and equitable.

Re: lodge/B&B/ryokan/minshuku/pension (and can anyone explain to me the difference -- aside from a pastel paint job -- between a minshuku and a pension?) The big difference is futon or bed, which could simply be Lodge/W, Lodge/J or Lodge/W&J, with amenities, meals, etc. shown specifically for the inn. The fewer main categories the easier it will be for site visitors to find what they want.

Quote:
Re: lodge/B&B/ryokan/minshuku/pension (and can anyone explain to me the difference -- aside from a pastel paint job -- between a minshuku and a pension?) The big difference is futon or bed, which could simply be Lodge/W, Lodge/J or Lodge/W&J, with amenities, meals, etc. shown specifically for the inn.

I guess the thing for me is, the word "lodge" doesn't really tell me anything; I have seen the name attached to anything from multistory urban edifices to remote rustic cabins.

For ryokan/minshuku/pension, the categories are a bit fuzzy, but in general I see "ryokan" and "minshuku" as being higher and lower ends of the budget scale of (generally) wa-fuu accomodation (tatami+futon), whereas "pension" is generally European-style (beds) -- though often with Japanese-style bathing arrangements (onsen or sento style communal hot tub). "Inn" and "B&B" I guess are similar to "pension."

For a "hotel," I expect to (usually) have a full in-room bath/shower, plus perhaps a public onsen-style facility, game room, gift shop, etc. in the building if it is a "resort hotel." Bedding arrangements can be either beds or tatami+futons in a "resort hotel," but always beds in a "business hotel."