Hokkaido Shinkansen - Kutchan (Niseko) stop?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll definitely prefer Shinkansen than flying. At least you don't have to transfer numerous time to get to Niseko and probably just take the same amount of time without the risk of traffic congestion or extended wait time. I wonder how will this affect the real estate market over at Kutchan once completed. I've been thinking of purchasing a place in Kutchan or Hirafu in the next couple of years as a resort home.

Quote:
At least you don't have to transfer numerous time to get to Niseko and probably just take the same amount of time without the risk of traffic congestion or extended wait time

A snow storm will seriously effect this line. Most of the Shinkansen lines dont run through snow country and if they due it is mostly tunnels.

Flying domestic in Japan is far better than any country I've ever been to... check ins 15 mins before departure, easy train/bus access to the airport, quick and efficient security checks... it's a pretty hassle free experience in my opinion. The new Shizuoka airport (massive waste of taxes) even offers free parking for extended trips. I think there will be little incentive for people to take the train to Hokkaido (expect for all the train geeks who are drooling over this idea)

I don't think the shink is really affected by strong winds. And in Yuzawa they have sprinklers clearing the rails. I'm sure they aren't free, but the point is that they seem to cope admirably in really bad conditions.

The only thing that can stop the Joetsu shink is a shindo 7 earthquake happening 10km away when it goes by.

Not to dispute that Japan makes domestic flights pretty easy, it certainly does, but I think there will be plenty of people who'd opt for shinkansen to Niseko.

I live pretty equal travel time to Haneda or Tokyo, and for the sake of argument let's say transfer/check-in time is about the same for 7 a.m. departure.

Shinkansen: arrive Kutchan 10:45, taxi to Hirafu, lodging at 11

Plane: arrive Chitose 8:30, wait required hour for bus at 9:30, 2.5 hours to Hirafu parking lot at noon.

Of course taking the train would mean missing that $1 million toilet with the player grand piano, but sometimes sacrifices simply must be accepted.

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
Not to dispute that Japan makes domestic flights pretty easy, it certainly does, but I think there will be plenty of people who'd opt for shinkansen to Niseko.
I live pretty equal travel time to Haneda or Tokyo, and for the sake of argument let's say transfer/check-in time is about the same for 7 a.m. departure.

Shinkansen: arrive Kutchan 10:45, taxi to Hirafu, lodging at 11

Plane: arrive Chitose 8:30, wait required hour for bus at 9:30, 2.5 hours to Hirafu parking lot at noon.

I agree.
It's not just about flying time etc, there's that 2.5 hour bus from the airport to add as well.

Also, any weather severe enough to shut down a shinkansen line would very probably also shut down Chitose airport.

Of course, JR may never provide the kind of subsidies that make package trips to ski in Hokkaido so inexpensive, and you might wind up paying a premium over flying. But it'll be good to have the choice.