Hokkaido Shinkansen - Kutchan (Niseko) stop?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was down in Itohigawa yesterday and the line is coming along. Those poor people though under the line dont know what they are in for. Also totally wrecks the view of the ocean as you drive into town.

Itoigawa has huge cement(?) works right in the center of town. Even by Japan standards, it's an ugly place.

Sushi's not bad though, and a couple of good fishmongers.

Yep, filter out the electric lines / burnt out car / other ugliness to see the sakura tree or other prettiness in the background.

That's a good boy Slippery Jim. You are well tuned! wink

I isnt a pretty town. The ocean view coming into town at sunset was always nice though. Now you can see a Shink buzz. I just cant see the value in that line still. I dont know what the cost is going to be. I would think that for a family of 4 traveling to Tokyo it will be double or triple the cost of taking your own car.

One other thing to remember is that this shink is going through car country. Almost everyone along this line will own a motor vechile of some type. That is a big factor to consider.

Between Asahi and Itoigawa, they'll have to tunnel through the mountains by the sea like they did for the expressway. 4km at a time. All for next to no traffic.

The old road built into the cliffs there has its moments but that section isn't very long and you can see the usual tetrapods when you look down. Oyashirazu might have been nice once, but now the highway has been built over the sea itself ....doh

The Sea water is nice. The old wooden houses have lots of character.

The surf north of itohgawa can be world class during a northernly blow. The JHS right on the beach would be a great place to go to school.