I've been living in Nagano city for the last 3 months - but now it is time to pack up and check out life in the big city. Just got a place in Tokyo that I will be moving into in the next couple weeks.

i used to live in a rain town does that count. kind of like snow but just a little warmer. the pacific northwest in the states...pretty much rained from october to june. though the mountains were only 45 mins away and would receive about 450-500 inches (cm?) a year. you can ski clear into september.

now i'm in pretty much neither. can't seem to find the local ski spot here in taiwan. although i'm thinking of investing in grass skis. i hear their making a come back.

fattwins ... when you were bumming where were you bumming? :p

I bummed about 4 years back so about 4 years of bumming starting at 21. Bummed in the interior of BC based out of Sun peaks but traveled a lot. was a snowmaker 4 dyas on 3 days off. could ski eveyday all day. Had to start work at 130 but the resort would rather that I checked the guns on skis than with the sled. The sledding started at 4ish.

i was from the city that rains...portland oregon. i called mt hood my home court advantage and the rest of the cascades my playground. a 3-6 hour drive would get me to either crystal, stevens, baker, or whistler. and our backcountry choices were vast and all year round.

but now of course i get the pleasure of calling taichung my home. well, at least temporarily. that is until i find my way back to the pnw.

fattwins - did you ever make it to a place called kicking horse. it probably had a different moniker back then but the place was off the hook nonetheless. the nelson area is also a place that rocks with some killer pow at whitewater....so in your honest opinion how does the snow and terrain in japan compare to that which you left back home? and you mentioned sleds back home, are there any sled access spots up there?

kicking horse used to be called something different whitetooth maybe. Was thinking about buying there or fernie. Whitewater rules, there is no other place I know, where you can hitchhike back to the resort after 2000 feet of perfect steep pow, and the person in the car might head up with you the next run.

Hard to compare. If you find the goods there is equal stuff here but its uncontrolled and there is no real avie warnings. You can find stashes here a week or 2 weeks after a storm. In canada you fight and earn your turns. here you can pretty much get it whenever you want. As always mother nature has to play her part and not crust it or slide it.

Suwa sort of counts. Nearest skijo is about 25 min away, and there is snow every year on the mountains around until mid-April. But if you want really deep, reliable powder you still have to drive 2 hours to Nozawa.

I think I classify as a snowtown. In winter I have to periodically shovel the snow off the roof or it crushes the house, theres a 30cm crack down one of the interior walls to show. Needless to say I sleep in the corner of the room... I live in the town next to Nozawa Onsen, if you go there from the expressway exit youd pass within 50m of my house.