Originally Posted By: pie-eater
The biggest mountain near my home is called Billinge Lump

Is it really called a Lump?
lol
That made me laugh.

Really nice vids, Jynxx. But I don't think you have to ski that stuff to get that kind of experience. "Big lines" doesn't have to = STEEP. Get some backcountry skills together like some ppl said earlier, hike up and choose your own nice 'big line' that won't kill you. You live pretty close to the alps, right? Have you done any longish (like multi-day) tours? Whether or not you get a big ride at the end, it's all about nature, dood. smile

Good advice. Cheers

We love to do longish tours, but we are not set up for it. Need a splitboard.

We are also a bit lazy when it comes to hiking.

It's just that I see something doable and I want to try it. I'm no pro, and I'm not putting a show, so if I see choices, I will choose a easier fun line anytime. It's just that I see some difficult bits, ie) some rocks, narrow boys, drops, steeps involved in it and I reckon if I can manage that, a lot of opportunity opens up.

Me and missus are in an environment where we can catch a lift up to 3000m, and 10~15 km run depending how you pick a run down to base at 1800m. If we are lucky, there are not many people around and pow to shred. I have to look out for danger all the time. We are in a situation that's similar to what you see in the vids, So seeing stuff like that being done, very inspirational.

How a pro or high level rider rides a bigline is much different then how a normal advanced rider would ride a bigline.

Stay on the ridges the center of the slope is where the sluff or slide is going to go. If you are in the middle keep an eye out behind you. You arent a pro with a radio in your helmut telling you about a slide. Dont push it on line you dont know. Understand your limits and keep within them. It is very rare that I will go beyond 95% of my limit on an exposed Bigline. Tomahawking is not fun at all it will scare you every time.

Thanks very much

Stay on the ridges . Check.

Radio in a helmet is a good idea. I'll look into that.

Do you know anything about figuring out where the "safer areas" of the slope are?

Like where to head, or when it slides plan B.

Seriously though take an avalanche course there are good ones in Europe.

That will give you a slight understanding about the risks involved.

A plan b needs to be worked out on the way up not on the way down.

The way down leads you to safe zones of safish to safer zones.

A plan b on the way down will amount to hiking back up.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Thanks very much
Stay on the ridges . Check.
Radio in a helmet is a good idea. I'll look into that.
Do you know anything about figuring out where the "safer areas" of the slope are?
Like where to head, or when it slides plan B.

One thing I can tell you is look mostly for "terrain traps". Terrain traps are areas where an avalanche can funnel tightly through rocks or a chute and become more powerful. If you are in a canyon or chute at the time of an avalanche, your chances of getting buried/hit are much greater and significantly more dangerous.

Another thing that kills a lot of people here in North America (mostly snowmobilers) is stopping at the bottom of an avalanche runway. Even though nothing has broken, when you stop to watch someone after you make sure you are not in the path of something that could crush you. Quite often the scenarios where people get hurt because of this are often due to very large avalanches that move very quickly and leave little time to escape.

These seem like common sense but I have seen so many people who are oblivious to this when actually in the backcountry. Applying the knowledge is quite often the most difficult part.

Thanks guys. really appreciate it.

rider69, I wish my german is a little better to get the most out of the avi courses here in the European Alps. I'm sure there are local aspects to this subject and would be interesting to know the details in depth so I can compare when I have an opportunity to do one in northern USA in the future.

There are a lot of online material but nothing compares to when you are out there in 3D.

You can't get the feel on virtual world.

Mitch, applied physics is a handy thing to know when dealing with situations like this. I can understand better. Like you say, knowledge is one thing. Seeing and practicing is another. I need experience.