• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As far as it being a ski/boarding movie it's pretty crap actually. I usually like more stylised movies but all those quick cuts, inverted shots and cg make it seem like watching a trailer for a movie

Just started watching 'Out of the Shadows' from dendrite studios.   Excellent so far. You can download it from their site on the interweb.

The full length version of White Noise is available on Vimeo now. Unfortunately, it can be embedded but if you search it out I promise you won't be disappointed. Very good indeed.

Really depends on film company, and location. Can often see some of the 'culture' of small European mountain villages in some US ski films....sometimes nothing...

I don't watch many of these but do videos of other countries also do the "getting there/culture" bit? Or is it just Japan because it's "so different"?

Tokyo - busy! Temples - culture!

Some of the big budget films still do it, which is more inexcusable because it's not a big deal for them to go anywhere. Shots of Shibuya Crossing, the Shinkansen, and voiceovers about "culture" are all very cliched now. Like shots of a heli to show "hey guys, we used a heli!" Art of Flight had loads of heli shots but that's because TR's heli is covered with the RedBull logo.

The Japan movie segment cliche checklist -

Departures/arrivals board at an airport

Dragging a ski bag through an airport

Tokyo esp Shibuya crossing or fish market

People in facemasks

Vending machines

Bowing combini attendant/police/gas station

Driving through snow

Roadworks/snowplow

Black diamond lodge

Ramen/sushi/dried squid in a supermarket

Yotei

One person chairlifts/Japanese ski school group/bowing lifty

Ridiculous voiceover about Japanese culture and travel. Deep cold snow from Siberia. Travel broadening horizons etc etc

All before any we get to see any skiing/boarding!

With that Hakuba vid, it's a shame because some of the riding is really good. More basic videos of folks simply riding deep stuff in trees in Japan are also kind of passe now. Worthy of Facebook and that's about it.

With MagSeven's list, I guess the Hokkaido folks don't get to film the Shinkansen, otherwise that would be Top 3!

Mt Granview doesn't need to deceive like that!

:lol: is the Mt Granview version of Tsugaiki Kogen!!

The clichés tie in with what was being said in the movies thread about the "mystical Japan" angle......seems western viewers like that shite whereas us that live here think it blows

But I thought the Shinkansen, Mt Fuji and Kyoto Golden Temple were all in Hokkaido?!

And in Hakuba at the same time.

Snow monkeys and Matsumoto Castle too!

According to a few websites I have seen.

:veryshocked:

It's all very confusing!

;)

Don't forget Tateyama and the Kurobishi route ;)

oh FYI, that excellent place I told you about near my house with the succulent, bacon-like lamb slices.......well thats closed :( Its now just a run of the mill izakaya......I was devastated when I found out