Things to spend your money on.....number 2,479,403

I am toying with getting one of these...

29422.Size.LengthCM_164_Image.jpg

bataleon 'the jam' wide 164.

Wanting something that sits between my 161 piste stick and my 168 deep deep pow stick. Want it to be all mountain, but good for some kickers and tricky time. Always been a fan of the TBT.

any opinions?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Def interested in demoin' TBT

maybe I'd like it, maybe not. Ergo wise it makes sense (the base design) Feeling wise, I have to see. I like to feel the board and it might be too buttery for me. I might be hard to maintain doing your own tune up.

What's your 161 and 168 boards? I'm Interested in what you think about them. Especially what you think about your powstick coming from the type of piste stick you like to ride (your current one) .

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

What's your 161 and 168 boards? I'm Interested in what you think about them. Especially what you think about your powstick coming from the type of piste stick you like to ride (your current one) .

Being a big foot I have always been about speed more than buttering the slopes...so aquired the following;

161W Nitro Magnum - It is a bit of a classic for the big footer, and for the cash I doubt you will find a better performing directional all mountain board. For me it is great on the piste and on kickers...it is quite stiff so not suited for park. Its sharpness and speed on the piste annoys skiing friends as they can get rid of me. I find it hardwork off piste because of its length, 164W would have been better.

168W Ride Yukon - I picked up the Yukon super super cheap (it was 2 seasons old but never ridden). It is a fantastic board...and the fact that is has been around for about 9 years speaks volumes. It is great in the deep pow, the extra length means you can really flow. But the length also means it is not sharp and poppy enough for the piste, shallow pow or trees. It can feel sluggish on super tight turns...and the trees always win.

So i am looking to get a 164W 'something'....that is midd stiff and twin tip.... My switch has always been good on my directional stick so a twin tip should make me amazing right? haha maybe not.

Unfortunately I now find out the the Bataleon JAM is a directional stick.

I think Neversummer do what I am looking for.... anyone have any knowledge?

Having big foot is not a bad thing, I'm thinking, in theory you can have a wide board meaning the board can pack a lot of surface area underfoot. Instead of going long, you can go wide with a given surface ares for float. And you won't have edging problems having your toe and heel effectively near the edge. Add a big oval (not pointy) tip, and setback, gives an ideal powstick that can go in the trees.

The thing is when you want all the features. Like true twin feeling that can be directional for big lines, poppy when needed to but can plow thru bumps and crud, etc. It's not gonna happen.

I think the "sharp" and "poppy" has not much to do with length. I don't know what you mean exactly my "sharp". I'd take that to be the Bevel angle or where the edge really holds, meaning contact point.

Big fast turns and tight turns could both be "sharp" IMO.

"Poppy" has to do with the flex of the board. and/or how much camber it has.

I'm just talking simple here, since there are combinations of all the ideas and tech, material out there the whole thing is complicated and confusing.

Having big foot is not a bad thing, I'm thinking, in theory you can have a wide board meaning the board can pack a lot of surface area underfoot. Instead of going long, you can go wide with a given surface ares for float. And you won't have edging problems having your toe and heel effectively near the edge. Add a big oval (not pointy) tip, and setback, gives an ideal powstick that can go in the trees.

I agree that a wide board provides greater surface area, I guess there is a limit. I really struggle to keep the nose of my 161 out of the Pow, without having a greater set back, which decreases my footing width, which for me feels weird. I have always ridden as wide as possible.

I don't know what you mean exactly my "sharp". I'd take that to be the Bevel angle or where the edge really holds, meaning contact point.

I mean sharp in response to turning, which is a combination of stiffness and edges.

I think the problem is a want everything.... like my father says...
Quote:
"Son you want the moon on a stick"

lol What's your ol' man gonna do with a moon on a stick?

I have wide stance, too. When I started I was into doing switch, dreaming of poppin 180s, all mountain freestyle kinda thang..

so I'm guessing you want that directional, twin-ish board that goes fast and floats in pow centre stance without too much leg burn, hitting natural pipes and trees ... let me know if you find one. thumbsup

I'm about 60kg us7.5 feet so it will be a different story. But I do like the stability at higher speed, edgehold on icy condition, the carve on my Salomon 157 Burner. I started doing jump turns (like on skis) in tight situations so length is ok for me. I accepted the setback. I think I just need something with a nose rocker.

NeverSummer defo looks good.

Check out Atomic Banger, too. (Maybe because I'm in Europe and when I skied I liked them)

but the Jones ones just might be for you. OK I'm excited about them. I want one.

so I'm guessing you want that directional, twin-ish board that goes fast and floats in pow centre stance without too much leg burn, hitting natural pipes and trees

Nail - Head - bang!

but the Jones ones just might be for you. OK I'm excited about them. I want one.

Me too prices I am seeing are $499usd for Flagship and $449 for twin thumbsup
Originally Posted By: Tex

Me too prices I am seeing are $499usd for Flagship and $449 for twin thumbsup

shit that ain't bad. Where are you seeing those prices?
Tex,
tell us which shop ? Online dealer locator isn't up yet. This pre-order?

Haven't found a pre order yet thumbsdown sales start August or Sept I understand. I first saw that pricing on the Jones Snowboard Facebook site somewhere - here is a website (albeit French) listing the same http://www.fluofun.com/

As for dealers they did have a page somewhere listing them but I can not find it anymore sadface but all the names you would know that do good Intl sales where there but none I ususally go to have listed anything yet on Jones Boards.

Maybe ..

The only beef I have against used boards are how much edge (steel) is left on it.

If the owner is like me ( I tune a lot. At least run a fine diamond file after every use ) , after filing and sharpening the edges there might not be much left... I mean, I'm very careful not to take too much off, but I do go over rocks and filing it down a few times you do become aware that snowboards aren't gonna last me that long.

I estimate 100 days and that's like 3 years for me. For some that's a season.

Maybe ..
The only beef I have against used boards are how much edge (steel) is left on it.
If the owner is like me ( I tune a lot. At least run a fine diamond file after every use ) , after filing and sharpening the edges there might not be much left... I mean, I'm very careful not to take too much off, but I do go over rocks and filing it down a few times you do become aware that snowboards aren't gonna last me that long.
I estimate 100 days and that's like 3 years for me. For some that's a season.

Sorry mate should have been clearer these are NEW.

Have you seen (flexed) them boards yet, Pete?

I think the Prem has a bit more side curve and Titans a bit more stiffer.

I don't have a clue as to how that would translate to ride.

Damn, you need to demo them both, I reckon !

The size issue will relate to the stiffness and flex, too. Complicated business.

Also, where you are going to slide the most. They must be designed for Colorado conditions, no? As for Niseko, damn, take any board (or ski) and you reckon you have become an "advanced" ... the snow makes it sooo easy. Well ... that was my experience on my dirt cheap old skool Rossi skis. Who need edges lol.

Hehe will be spending most of my time in Hakuba and the NS dont have a dealer in Japan so no demos. Thats how I ended up with the current Burton. :)I actually bought my original NS (x2) in 2000 in Colorado so maybe there is an emotional attachment as well.

At best Im intermediate so in some ways it may never matter lol

Because one might be stuck at being an intermediate, the board may give you that X Factor to make the leap. Sometimes I'm just waiting to happen... trying all sorts of thing, see if I can do it different, going mmm... that didn't work ... and then something happens unaware, how did I do that? That balance of pushing and backing off I can't figure out.

I sidetrack. I was going to ask you if there are things similar between Colorado and Hakuba. If you have been riding NS you'd be getting the cutting edge board of what you already know. I bet you are excited. If your instincts tells you 157~159 don't let yourself hassled by me getting something longer. I'm sure longer boards are a handful with moguls. Those japa moguls ... Am I having deja ... have I said something similar before?