same here to blue cheese - gorgeous stuff. gimme a nice 18mth picante gorgonzola and a bottle of red wine with no work the next day and am happy as larry.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has idiosyncrasy of taste buds .

I love natto. My Bavarian wife loves natto. She cooks a good japa food better than most japa girls. My sister can't cook (I've never seen her in the kitchen. Mum usually gets me in there) Lucky me on all accounts.

Minty, when you get there, you just MUST have a go at it. Find s local, take them to a meal and insist that you buy them Natto.

rollabout

you don't need to go to a restaurant, just head into the local supermarket and ask for Natto, they'll point you in the right direction. You have to add soy sauce and give it a stir till it looks like beans covered in snot, then its right to eat! biggrin

Have avoided this thread until now as I have done the Natto sucks discussion before...however..

I get regular emails for a health thingy that a friend signed me up for (she's an all natural, fresh food growing, anti-pesticide, anti-chemical gal ... some of the idea's are excellent)..

and what comes through today but advice on Vitamin K:

Quote:
For vitamin K2, cheese and especially cheese curd is an excellent source. The starter ferment for both regular cheese and curd cheese contains bacteria—lactococci and proprionic acids bacteria—which both produce K2. You get the benefits of these bacteria when you consume them.

Both types of cheese have the same amount of K2, but curd cheese has less fat. If you eat 100 grams of cheese daily, you get 45 mcg of vitamin K2, which will lower your risk for heart attack by 50 percent, according to existing studies.

You can obtain all the K2 you'll need (about 200 micrograms) by eating 15 grams of natto daily, which is half an ounce. It's a small amount and very inexpensive. It'll only shrink your wallet by about two dollars a month.

If you don't care for the taste of natto, the next best thing is a supplement. Remember you must always take your vitamin K supplement with fat since it is fat-soluble and won't be absorbed without it.

hmmm... Natto or a heart attack...

I think I will take the heart attack.

Thanks for the advice everyone, but I'm guessing that if my host families in Japan didn't feed me natto last time I was there, then I'm probably not missing out on anything.

I like fresh soybeans bettera anyway!

Don't need to take supplements when you are on Japanese food.

They may be mor damage to you, it's only the last 30 years that's been trendy. Recall Vit A and E. And it may reduce the body's natural ability to absorb them.

Originally Posted By: thursday
you like soy sauce? That's not fresh soy beans.

I like soy sauce on my migoreng with the dried onion.

I think the combination of strange flavours makes something delicious. Maybe I should put natto on the top. Maybe some jew ears too?

jews-ear-fungus-390x279.png