This was predominately a surf trip with the lads but I thought some SJ ers might like to see some of the other aspects of the area.

We were based on the southern Sumatran coast, not too far away as the crow flies, from the Mentawai islands where Spook has spent the last 3 years. This was my 10th trip to Indonesia but I've never been to this part before. The area is seldom visited by foreigners. It is totally devoid of tourists and tourism. If fact we never saw a single other white person in two weeks except for a small gathering of motley old surfers hanging out at the surf breaks. The area is stunningly beautiful. Typical picture post card beaches with palm trees leaning over the white sandy beaches, coral reefs and crystal clear water. The villages however, suffer the same old misfortune as any third world country with rubbish strewn all over the place and a non existent sewerage system. They were very poor by western standards but seemed to be very happy. Driving along the roads was a real treat, with goats, chickens and cows wondering across will nilly and an endless procession of gorgeous, grinning little grubs yelling the Indonesian anthem as we passed. "Hello Mister"

wave

IMG_9806-1.jpg

DSCF0838.jpg

DSCF0840.jpg

DSCF0877.jpg

DSCF09522.jpg

DSCF10882.jpg

DSCF1102.jpg

DSCF11972.jpg

DSCF1282.jpg

DSCF1283.jpg

DSCF1314_2.jpg

DSCF1336.jpg

DSCF1357.jpg

DSCF1369.jpg

DSCF1386.jpg

DSCF1564.jpg

Wow man that looks awesome. Thanks for sharing! I'm actually leaving for Bali on Tuesday and will be spending at least 3 weeks in Indo... hoping to score some sweet waves. Glad to see that you enjoyed yourself smile

Cool pics.

Looks like a hard paddle out on a big day! Is there are channel on that left?

I am in need of some waves.. point has been cranking but I have been sick. Farrrrk :(

Originally Posted By: Indo
Cool pics.

:(

That was the problem Indo. Catching and riding the waves wasn't too much of a challenge, even at 6-8 foot, but paddling back out was really hard work. The wide ones were at least 2 foot bigger than the ones that ran down the reef. Seriously, I got some of the worst floggings of my life out there on the big days. My 9 foot legroe is now 13 foot long! We ended up riding the wide ones instead.

Mitch, what's a gropo?

Great stuff. I really like all the other non-surf pics too. They know how to smile that lot do. Looking fwd to some "Hello Misters" with big smiles next week ....

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Originally Posted By: Indo
Cool pics.

:(

That was the problem Indo. Catching and riding the waves wasn't too much of a challenge, even at 6-8 foot, but paddling back out was really hard work. The wide ones were at least 2 foot bigger than the ones that ran down the reef. Seriously, I got some of the worst floggings of my life out there on the big days. My 9 foot legroe is now 13 foot long! We ended up riding the wide ones instead.

Mitch, what's a gropo?

Was just getting little red X's where the pics were so thought I might find the pics on photobucket by searching "Mantas". Sure hope this is your pic mate. wink smile

mantas.jpg

For some reason now can see your photos though, looks awesome. Not too mental but sure had some decent size in it during those vids. I feel for the crew on the reef trying to get out, as you said that has all the makings of a B.I.T.C.H. of a paddle. Was it any better further down the reef?

That beachie looks sublime!

Thanks for posting mate.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Was just getting little red X's where the pics were so thought I might find the pics on photobucket by searching "Mantas". Sure hope this is your pic mate. wink smile

mantas.jpg

Yep, that my photo mate. I'm actually in it.
Under the water.
shifty

awesome shots mantas. looks like you had a great trip. love that shot of the canoe from above.

where'd you stay in krui?

and this peak looks mental - is it a real wave or just a nice shot?

DSCF1314_2.jpg

I was wondering where you would show up Spook. Where are you now?

Actually I can't take the credit for that shot. Our little Indo guide Nana took the photo, as well as a few others. He was pretty good with a camera. I reckon I was about the 100th surfer to toss him a camera and say "snap a few if you like"

It's actually a beach break and it was pretty damn good. Every wave was a barrel, not all makable of course.

Oh- We stayed at Ombak Indah, Nev Hinz's camp. He has a great set up there. PM me if your thinkng of going though.

whaaaaaat?! that's a beachbreak! i want i want i want. awesome.

we're in jakarta at the moment. spent a few days in the jungle in siberut after leaving the island. that was very basic, very rough and very humbling. stayed with mentawai people from another age. they're so completely in tune with their environment you can't help but feel awed.

but that's another story, and i don't wanna hijack your thread...

i'll definitely hit you up for some more info later.

how was the crowd situation in krui, and how much driving did you have to do?

The point got crowded at times but usually about 10-20 guys out. It's a long wave though so they are spread out a bit. On some of the bigger days the crowd dropped to about 5 guys. Only 2 at one point.

CB I was introduced to the reef on my second wave. A bit of bark off, nothing serious. Lots of guys walking around with coral cuts all over them. Comes with the teritory when surfing reef breaks.

Here's some more surf photos.

The point on a bigger day.

DSCF08972.jpg

The beachie

DSCF12972.jpg

DSCF12982.jpg

This is the right 90 mins. up the coast. We had a good surf there though it's not a classic break. There's a couple of other breaks in that area too but not working that day.

DSCF1387.jpg

This is the left not too far from the point. It rocks! It's the premier wave in the area. It has a bit of a reputation and there was always a bit of carnage when we surfed there. We scored it on a small day with just the 4 of us out. I would have loved to surf it a bit bigger but it's a fickle place and not always easy to score.

Mantas gets (and makes) a rare barrel.

IMG_9912.jpg

IMG_9918-1.jpg

IMG_9884_22.jpg

the guys on the shoulder of that wave could see right through the barrel and onto the left... that don't happen too often

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, i'm so hungover right now. had a boozy night out in jakarta with some old friends. bleuuuuuurgh. that's how i feel

That lovely Jakarta air should fix you up.

We overnighted there on the way over. Apart from a few new buildings that have popped up, little has changed in the 10 years since I was there last. Still a grimy, smog ridden, third world sh@#hole.

yes, but so is padang. at least you can buy different stuff in this city....

to be honest we're just staying at a mate's house and it's a little sanctury. we're not doing much. heading to sulawesi on the weekend. woop woop!

cold back in oz mantas?

Originally Posted By: spook
yes, but so is padang.

And so is Medan, Sibolga, Banda lumpung, Bogor.....

We actually had a good time once in Jakarta when we stayed with a cashed up business dude. After a bacon and eggs breakfast, he lent us his car and driver for the day.

Bloody oath it's cold. Your gunna die when you get home.

i have no real idea what's in sulawesi. we just thought it looked like a fun place to check out. the funeral festivals in tana toraja look interesting, and the snorkeling is supposedly world class in the north.

it's just gonna be a holiday and the chance to do something different. pretty soon i'm going to have to go back to the real world and there'll be less opportunities to do impulsive trips like this one. plus if i'm not getting a lot of time off, most trips will be to hunt waves or snow, so it seems like a good time to do something different.

what was your wife doing in ujung pandang/makassar? did she like it? i'm keen to check out the schooners they build there. beautiful looking boats