What is it with Japan school ski trips and Shiga Kogen?

I hear so many people say that they first went skiing on a school trip to Shiga Kogen. It seems to be the place that schools go to from both the Kanto and Kansai area.

Just me or true? Wonder why that area is so popular for school trips.

The fact that its a huge area probably is a big factor, plenty space for hordes of kids to learn. The snow is good and I'd imagine there are a lot of ski-school options.

There were quiet a few schools there when we were there in feb.Its a good place for them big area and they book out a complete hotel so its easy for them to keep a eye on the kids. wink

There's always loads of school trips to Shiga Kogen.

The huge area probably has lots to do with it.

And doing it from such a long time ago as well perhaps, before lots of other resorts popped up.

Not so sure about Shiga - but I worked for one of these ski schools in Hyogo for many seasons - very fun and interesting job - The ski schools basically have a license to print money and are structured like factories that spit out little teenage skiers after a few days drilling the `Hanogi` (which is very similar in pronunciation to the word for bleeding nose as it happens!)

The kids are so obedient and I think thats one reason why it works well here- can`t imagine a class of 20-30 kids at home all keeping military like file - helping each other when the fall etc -

Really good for the kids would love to know how many return to enjoy skiing by themselves or with friends after that initial introductoin - I will try and dig out some pics- good memories

I used to take a group of only 6 high school kids out on various activites back home, including skiing and that was bad enough. they didn't want to do anything for themselves, threw rubbish around the van, didn't want to clean gear after use, listen to the instructors. Although for 95% of the day it was qualty fun, that 5% sure was a strain on the shouting muscles and not-blowing-your-top muscles! smile

Everyone know Shiga. Everyone has been there. It has been there for a long time. My dad skied there in the 50's. We were there in the 70's Tokyo, Osaka doesn't matter. Equally accessable. Caters for everyone.

Old school I was at goes to Yokoteyama and it was primarily students when we were there which was nice cuz 2 of those runs gave me some of the most amazing powder runs of my life, and nobody was riding em with me. My new school goes to Noz party

I had an awesome run down Yakebtaiyama, about 3/4's the way down there was a trail that was roped off, an accidental shifty turn-off down this trail and I was knee to thigh deep in untouched powder snow, it came out right at the first cafe where my gfriend was waiting inside for me....quality