I just got a call 10 minutes ago. A business/work-related call. On my mobile phone. Not urgent. At 9:45pm!

To me, that's just not on. Is it generally accepted here (the guy is Japanese)? I might have to turn my phone off - or not tell people - if this might be happening more!

slap

I won't call people I know after 9pm unless I know that they are ok with that and/or are real close friends.

Not in Japan, but 9pm is my cut off too.

Wonder how universal it is?

If I know someone is waiting for my call or it is life or death, of course I will call outside that time.

I got 3 calls just over 2 weeks ago - a few days post-op too (guess how happy I was) at 12.30/1.00 and 1.30am on a Sunday morning. Son #2's drunk female friend trying to get him to get out of bed and come play with her and others in the city.

slap

Her parents really enjoyed it when I woke them up knocking on their door at 3am letting them know that our children were cavorting around the streets at that hour as a result of her phone habits.

highfive

about 3 years ago (just when I came back to Japan), I got a phone call at 9.30pm from my supervisor (remember that I'm an ALT) asking "How are you dong?".......How am I doing?? I'm a f###ing 27 year old adult that's dong just great without you ya nosey barsteward!!! I let him have it big style!! 8 months later he'd recommended me for a "supervisor" position! lol

When I used to be an interpreter, There were no cut off times.

There were 3AM calls about how to use a hair dryer. Some were females trying to get me into their rooms, and some people were not satisfied unless they are getting special treatment than others.

There were those that considered my job description included taking them to brothels, bars, karaoke... hated that part.

Japanese-English Interpreting. When I think about it now, I was a MINDER.

Clients? Think TV, Newspaper, Film Production, Advertisement, Steel Companies, Australian and Japanese government departments, local level politicians, R&D people ...

The worst ones came from tour company agents. Often some small- medium sized business owners coming for fun on a tax write off "technical tour" having spent some of the day visiting relevant industry companies.

I think 6pm for business and 9pm for personal is a good cut off.

What really pisses me off is sales calls late night and/or weekend.

Use the silent feature when you want to sleep. Im just not that important.

I also have a phone with two SIM cards, one is personal and one is work. You can guess which one I answer after hours and which one I ignore.

I got a call once from a guy I had been chasing for literally weeks. It was at 10pm. But I decided to pick up because I'd had a nightmare trying to get in touch with him previously.

Look at your watch!!! slap

Along the same lines we have an emergency phone number for guests when they are staying in our properties. It clearly states that it is to be used only in the event of an emergency but I guess we all have differnt ideas of what an emergency is. For instance we've had a call on this phone in the early hours of the morning asking for an extra pillow! Lucky for those guests I didn't have the phone that night I can tell you.