Cathay Pacific... anyone ever flown with them?

I would expect you need to get to the airport, check in and then wait to board the plane. Once one the plane, there will be an extremely interesting demonstration of what to do if you are about to die in a horrible accident. Most people ignore it but I highly recommend it. Take off is exciting. Then you'll get a drink in a plastic cup and later on they will come round and and ask you "beef or fish" before giving you a plastic dish of 'food' which is supposed to resemble that beef or fish. When you get close to your destination, the plan will start descending and you will eventually land. Don't worry, it's quite painless. Unless you sit next to someone who is really smelly.

I choose CX everytime I fly.

Biz is just wonderful, hardly want to get off.

Econ is OK so long as you don't get a spiller from a code share flight. Code shares most like to have spillers are UA, BA, Qantas.

When you cross the equator expect to be shaken like you're gonna die and the plane will drop several thousand feet. Despite the screaming from the women passengers telling you otherwise, you will survive.

Originally Posted By: thursday
When you cross the equator expect to be shaken like you're gonna die and the plane will drop several thousand feet. Despite the screaming from the women passengers telling you otherwise, you will survive.

Coool!

honto? rolleyes
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Originally Posted By: thursday

Coool!

honto? rolleyes

Intertropical convergence zone

check it out.

Cathay have the best economy class that I have been on. The shell seats with power supply and very good inflight entertainment make for a very comfortable ride. I would choose them above all others.

It all depends on the airplane, not the airline.

For example, last week I went economy to Singapore. Outbound was from KIX on a newish Airbus, it had a huge TV and had 2-4-2 layout so not so cramped. Coming back I flew to Narita and it was an ancient Boeing 747 with 3-4-3 layout, TV was tiny. Same airline, different plane, different experience.

Service I think is basically the same on any major airline (I normally only fly JAL or Singapore Air though), though check-in staff can be asswipes (lufthansa).

I fly with these guys at least twice a month, 4 times this month already and again tomorrow night. If you are at the pointy end the Sky beds are reasonably comfortable especially compared to sitting in cattle although very anti social as you cant interact with anyone else which is good and bad. The planes seem safe and comfortable, the food and service great and Im yet to be delayed - unlike Qantas. I can pretty much travel with anyone and these guys seem to be a good mixture of price and service.

Since JAL axed the Brisbane direct to Tokyo we decided to fly CX next January so will be interested to see how you get on. Sale price was was cheap and comparable but they are all gone now it seems.

On a side note I heard Qantas might take up the route Bris>Tokyo in november this year...

cool.

Don't mention yesterday's flight to Amsterdam. One of the 747's engines conked out and needs a replacement. They dispatched it today together with 6 engineers. Hope they packed the spanners too.

Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
Cathay have the best economy class that I have been on. The shell seats with power supply and very good inflight entertainment make for a very comfortable ride. I would choose them above all others.

Pro (in eco):

Power supply in seat for notebooks
HUGE video list
Videos can be stopped at your choice
Videos with F words still have them in it.

Cons (in eco):

In the new seat system the back rest does not move back (which I appreciate if I got a moron in front of me), but the ass rest moves forward, which is ok if you are under 1.5m tall, otherwise your knee space goes from nearly zero to minus.

Beside that CX is one of the worlds top 5 airlines.

Lufthansa has those seats too on some machines.

And Cathay do their own food at Chek Lap Kok. Supplying 30 other airlines too. So your food should be at least fresher than most.

Flying into Bali, you're gonna get chicken with noodles or a beef and rice. One Indo-ish, one, HK-ish I s'pose.

Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong

Cons (in eco):

In the new seat system the back rest does not move back (which I appreciate if I got a moron in front of me), but the ass rest moves forward, which is ok if you are under 1.5m tall, otherwise your knee space goes from nearly zero to minus.

doh
Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ

Pro (in eco):

Power supply in seat for notebooks
HUGE video list
Videos can be stopped at your choice
Videos with F words still have them in it.

Cons (in eco):

Beside that CX is one of the worlds top 5 airlines.

Lufthansa has those seats too on some machines.

Maybe they had the seats closer together on your flight. I didn't have a problem with it and I'm 151 cm tall. From memory Kraut san am I correct that you are around 6 ft.

I like the sound of that non-reclining seat, I havent seen those before. On my recent flight I had a moron in front of me coming back, reclining full the whole way including during eating. On the outward, the guy behind me was kicking/kneeing my seat repeatedly for the first 3 hours of the journey.