I am planning to take a season in Japan, I am looking for a resort there got a lot of snow, have a resort size there is acceptable if you will be there for the whole season.

Maybe a place where there are other resorts close to the main resort.

The plan is to do some off-piste, out of boundary, tree-runs.

I have been reading about some few resorts:

Kagura, Niigata

Happo One, Nagano

Nozawa Onsen, Nagano

Shiga Kogen, Nagano

Yamagata, Zao Onsen

Niseko

Are there any of them you can recommend,?

Some other basic questions about.

Is it easy for an European, to find job?

When will it be best to come, November or when will it be best?

Are the resorts often close to the town, or is it best to buy a car to get around?

If you just can help with one of the questions, or have other good ideas I will be thankful.

Cheers

Martin

Denmark

for sheer size I would say that Shiga Kogen, Hakuba (including Happo-one, there are a lot of resorts in 1 valley) and Niseko would be your top 3 areas. Kagura s a big area and Yuzawa itself (the nearby town) also has a lot of local options for you to explore, but I dunno how spending a whole season would be. If you were to choose a place such as Shga Kogen, while it has a huge amount of territory and great snow, the fact that there is little else to do and few restaurants outside of the hotels may mean that you are bored. There is a town nearby at the foot of the mountains that you could stay in and drive yourself (or bus perhaps?) up n down everyday. This would give you access to Nozawa Onsen as well, which isn't too far away and Myoko which is another interesting place that would be accessible if you had a car.

As for the visa queston, you'll have to arrange that before you come. Find out if Denmark has a Working Holiday visa arrangement with Japan, that would be your best bet.

good luck

Welcome to the forums Martin. I can recommend Hakuba and I see a lot of crew here doing the same each season as you are wanting to do. BC terrain is endless. Good town vibe. As TB said, organise your working visa and you should be able to find plenty of job opportunities. The season kicks off usually around the end of November and work will start mid December. A car is good to have but can be a little complicated to arrange. Having a car means you can check out a lot of other resorts around Nagano and Niigata although I see most people tend to just hang out in the Hakuba Valley. The free bus service is expanding each year and makes it easy to get around.

work in a ski resort is pretty hard to come by compared to say the United States or New Zealand. When i was in Nozawa there were less than a handful of foreigners working there. Most were getting paid less than the cost of living and would have had to rely on savings. Your better of working in Europe and then coming over for a long holiday. I would think you would need to bring around Y250,000 per month for accomodation, food and lift passes/ season ticket.

Off the top of my head i dont know pay rates but would imagine that youd have to work a fair bit to make more than Y150,000 per month (plus free acoomodation). I think your better off just saving the money in Europe and riding all day.

Buying a car isnt really an option unless you meet a foreigner trying to off load one. The cheapest cars your likely to come across would cost you around Y200,000. As a tourist you wont be able to register it so you cant get insurance.

You can rent cars but its not as easy as in a western country

Pay rates are around 800 to 1000 yen an hour. Accommodation and meals for 25000 per week leaves you with a bit of beer money. A season Pass will set you back about 50000. So depending on how much work you do and how much you party, there is a chance to walk away with a few dollars which I see happen often.

You need a gaijin card and hanko (signature stamp) to buy a car which is easy to apply for. Plenty of cheap cars available around 100000 + reg. and tax.

Sorry to rebuke WW. Things can be difficult here if you don't know the way but certainly can be done.

By a long way the best job opportunities for foreigners at a ski reasort in Japan can be found in Niseko. Niseko has the largest number of foreign companies that hire foreign staff compared to any other resort here. Japanese companies generally won't hire foreign staff for seasonal jobs.

Many companies are already starting to look to fill positions for next winter so get your resume in as soon as possible. You would be expected to start around late November or early December at the latest.

Plenty of off-piste and out of bounds skiing in the region and heaps of foreign locals who regularly go backcountry who you could hook up with.

As TJ says you can make enough money to break even or possibly save a little. Most seasonal jobs here will come with a season pass and cheap accomm included. A car probably wouldn't be required as once you've made enough friends there're plenty here already who have cars.

Hirafu in Niseko also has a very lively nightlife.

As TJ points out though Hakuba would also be a great choice. I'd just send my resume to as many companies as I could at a number of places and see what you get offered.

I have to disagree and say that hirng a car is just as easy in my experience, just go in and book your car. I've only ever done it for day trips mind you so maybe its more complicated for a longer rental period but I've certainly not found it difficult. Be sure to have an international licence with you if you do decide to get a car

Originally Posted By: Go Native
By a long way the best job opportunities for foreigners at a ski reasort in Japan can be found in Niseko. Niseko has the largest number of foreign companies that hire foreign staff compared to any other resort here. Japanese companies generally won't hire foreign staff for seasonal jobs.

I agree with this. Seasonal work in Nagano looks rough. Niseko ups your chances of getting a decent gig, and hakuba looks like the pick of the bunch in Nagano. I did know a foreigner who got a job at a bar in Nagano which was a good gig (but she had great hooters, somethng Martin probably doesnt have).

Someone above said pay rates are around 800-1000 per hour (on average). That sounds right and works out to between 130,000 - 160,000 per month for a 40 hour week - similar to my 150,000 guess?

I wasnt aware you got a gaijin card with a working holiday visa? If you get a gaijin card, buying a car isnt a problem. If you dont have a card, cant see how you could buy a car. (fyi Nagano DMV wast the easiest office I ever dealt with)

Id go to Utah or Colarado before I worked a seasonal job in Japan

I have little personal info to offer on Niseko, but it seems like a great place to work. Not much for salary, but when you get to ski that much who cares about salary.

If you need any info on Utah or Colorado I know a LOT of places for work and live in Utah so I can give you good info on that.

There are plenty of Japanese companies here in Hakuba that are employing foreign seasonal workers. Interesting that they don't up north. I have met a few disappointed workers who have gone through agencies so I am not sure if that is the way to go. Just make sure you discuss the position with the people you are working for.

WW - Easy to organise a gaijin card as long as you have an address in Japan.

We see quite a few people rent a place for the season, buy a little K van and just have a cruisy 5 month skibum holiday. Wouldn't mind doing something like that myself.

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Slightly off topic: Mitch, have u started your job search yet?

Trying James, Got my diploma in the mail yesterday and I am going to call the embassy tomorrow to sort out my application for a Visa. Hopefully will be able to get one and then clarify on some jobs. Still got a bit of time but I am looking.

Congrats on graduating! That's exciting dude. Def got a lot of time, so no worries.

Talking with some friends about getting a trip together for the next season. But it's definitely just talking about it at this stage.

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Congrats on graduating! That's exciting dude. Def got a lot of time, so no worries.

Talking with some friends about getting a trip together for the next season. But it's definitely just talking about it at this stage.

Thanks James! Make it to Niseko, this time we can actually ride together haha. I'll make you hit some jumps.

Thanks for all that information and help, i really appreciate this .

TB:

It have also been Shiga Kogen, Hakuba and Niseko, i have had my focus on, Shiga and Hakuba because of the size, and placed is better located in Japan, so it could be possible to do some road trips. and Niseko because of all that snow there are falling.

And i know i can get a Working Holiday, so that’s not a problem .

Tj:

Thanks for the info, and good to know there is free bus service.

My plan is to have money with me to fly ticket, season ticket, car, and ski equipment.

So i â€just†need to earn money to food and a place to live.

And good to know it also are possible to find job in Hakuba for us foreigners.

WW:

I need a job where i am going, because it's not possible to save so much money for a whole season. I have some other travel plans i need to have money for as well smile

GN:

Good information about Niseko and good idea about sending resume to some companies.

MP:

If it had been possible to get a working holiday to US, i would have needed some info about Utah, because that was my first priority. smile

And Canada is not possible because I used the working holiday this winter.

• 2 weeks later...