The FOOTBALL Thread (2010-2011)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Wayne Rooney has admitted he must prove to Manchester United fans that he is committed to the Old Trafford outfit.

The 25-year-old made his first appearance last Saturday since the week-long contract saga in October, which at first seemed set to herald his exit from the club.

Rooney received a mixed reception upon his introduction against Wigan, indicating there are still some who do not believe the striker acted properly in his relations with the club.

Once again, there was no apology from Rooney. But he has vowed to do everything in his power to make the United fans love him again.

Rooney said on MUTV: "Not all the fans are going to want to be singing my name all the time or going to want to be cheering me all the time and I fully accept that and understand that. But I have to go out and prove to the fans that I am here to stay and I want to work and I want to win things at this club.

"Only I can say how I feel and I know 100 per cent it was nothing to do with money.

"Once I sat down and spoke with the manager, spoke with the owners, they told me how the club was moving forward. The contract negotiations lasted two hours. If it was about money I'd be sitting down for days, months trying to sort that out."

Rooney also rejected claims that he had fallen out with Sir Alex Ferguson, who has been critical of advice given by the player's long-time advisor Paul Stretford.

"In terms of any falling out with the manager, there's been no falling out whatsoever," he said.

Just shut up and score goals please. Not just an odd penalty.
Quote:
UEFA have charged Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho after launching an investigation into whether Sergio Ramos and Xabi Alonso deliberately incurred red cards during Tuesday's Champions League match with Ajax.

Ramos and Alonso, together with Jerzy Dudek and Iker Casillas, are also under investigation for alleged improper conduct.

A statement from UEFA said: "UEFA has confirmed that a disciplinary case has been opened against Real Madrid for the improper conduct of coach Jose Mourinho and players Xabi Alonso, Sergio Ramos, Iker Casillas and Jerzy Dudek during the UEFA Champions League Group G match against AFC Ajax in Amsterdam on Tuesday."

The case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body on Tuesday, November 30.

Alonso and Ramos were both sent off late in the 4-0 win in Holland after receiving second yellow cards for time-wasting.

That means the two Spain internationals will be suspended for Madrid's final Group G match against Auxerre - which is a dead rubber for the already-qualified Spanish side - but could see their disciplinary records wiped clean ahead of the knockout stages.

There have been accusations that both cautions were deliberately incurred, with substitute goalkeeper Dudek apparently relaying a message - via first-choice custodian Casillas - that Alonso and Ramos, having already been booked, should time-waste and seek second yellows so as to get any ban out of the way.

Alonso delayed taking a free-kick in his own half and Ramos delayed taking a goal-kick for Casillas.

Not sure what I think about this.

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has said sorry to the club's fans for the first time about the way his recent contract negotiations were handled.

Rooney, 25, looked set to leave Old Trafford last month after querying the club's transfer policy, but eventually signed a five-year deal to stay put.

"I feel like I have apologised to the fans but everyone keeps saying that I haven't," he said.

"If that is the case, then I apologise for my side of things."

The England forward also stated that during a week of intense speculation he had no intention of joining rivals Manchester City.

"I have made my point clear since I signed my contract that I am committed to this club for the long term. I want to be successful here," he added.

"Everyone is saying that I was definitely going to Manchester City. Believe me if I had gone it wouldn't have been in England."

This weekend on tv

Sat

9:45pm

Villa vs Arsenal

Midnight

Man Yoo vs Blackburn

Midnight

Stoke vs Man City

Sun

10:30pm

Newcastle vs Chelsea

1am

Suprs vs Liverpool

Wow United played a great game on Saturday, it was like watching a different team to the one we have been seeing the last few months. I wonder how much of that is Rooney.

5 Berbagoals too.