The FOOTBALL Thread (2010-2011)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny world the football world.

Be a crap manager, get sacked and have other big teams sniffing around offering more money.

Be a playing in crap form, bad mouth the club, players and boss, say you are better than they are, then get offered double the money.

lol

What's wrong with this picture?!

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
I'll tell you what though, he's definitely be either playing for Manchester United come January, or someone else. I'd put my money on that.

Don't know pie-eater, he may have decided to quite footie and become the face of some fashion designer or something.

In the midst of all this drama, there's actually some footy on this weekend!

Chelsea vs Wolves, 11pm - come on Wolves!

Sunday

Stoke vs Man Utd, 9:30pm - come on United!

Liverpool vs Blackburn, 11pm - come on Blackburn!

City vs Arsanal, 11pm - come on Arsenal!

Wayne Rooney has vowed to win back the trust of Manchester United's supporters after a remarkable U-turn to agree a new five-year contract only two days after confirming he wanted to leave Old Trafford because he thought they were a club in decline.

Rooney has become the best-paid player in the history of the club by agreeing a deal thought to be worth as much as £180,000 a week in a move that will inevitably invite allegations that he and his agent, Paul Stretford, have been guilty of cynical greed to get the best deal possible.

The news represents a significant setback to Manchester City, with senior officials at Eastlands convinced that Rooney had decided to move across the city, and the player is aware that feelings are running high against him.

"I'm sure the fans over the last week have felt let down by what they've read and seen," he said. "But my position was from concern over the future. The fans have been brilliant with me since I arrived and it's up to me through my performances to win them over again."

"I'm delighted to sign another deal at United. In the last couple of days, I've talked to the manager and the owners and they've convinced me this is where I belong. I said on Wednesday the manager's a genius and it's his belief and support that have convinced me to stay.

"I'm signing a new deal in the absolute belief that the management, coaching staff, board and owners are totally committed to making sure United maintains its proud winning history – which is the reason I joined the club in the first place."

That represents a complete volte-face from Rooney's statement on Wednesday questioning whether the club were in danger of stagnating under the ownership of the Glazer family.

His position looked untenable at that time, with serious cracks emerging in his relationship with Sir Alex Ferguson, but the manager and player have spoken at length to try to resolve those differences over the last two days.

Ferguson told Rooney he was in danger of making the biggest mistake of his professional life but it was only when the Glazers agreed to increase the amount of money on offer to the footballer of the year that he changed his mind.

"It's been a difficult week, but the intensity of the coverage is what we expect at Manchester United," Ferguson said. "I said to the boy that the door is always open and I'm delighted Wayne has agreed to stay.

"Sometimes, when you're in a club, it can be hard to realise just how big it is and it takes something like the events of the last few days to make you understand. I think Wayne now understands what a great club Manchester United is.

"I'm pleased he has accepted the challenge to guide the younger players and establish himself as one of United's great players. It shows character and belief in what we stand for.

"I'm sure everyone involved with the club will now get behind Wayne and show him the support he needs to produce the performances we know he is capable of."

Manchester United's statement in full

Wayne Rooney has agreed a new five-year contract to stay at Manchester United until at least June 2015.

The agreement follows intensive discussions between the club and the player's representatives and means that by the end of his contract Wayne will have been a Manchester United player for 11 years.

Sir Alex Ferguson said: "It's been a difficult week, but the intensity of the coverage is what we expect at Manchester United. I said to the boy that the door is always open and I'm delighted Wayne has agreed to stay.

"Sometimes, when you're in a club, it can be hard to realise just how big it is and it takes something like the events of the last few days to make you understand. I think Wayne now understands what a great club Manchester United is.

"I'm pleased he has accepted the challenge to guide the younger players and establish himself as one of United's great players.