The FOOTBALL Thread (2010-2011)

I have a soft spot for Everton as well. Thats the thing, yeah out of all the England teams, I like Liverpool best but if they get beat....well I don't really care that much. They are just an excuse to have an interest in the English games

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!!

Quote:
Wayne Rooney has thrown Manchester United's season into a state of turmoil after informing the club he has no plans to sign another contract and intends to find new employers. Rooney's decision is based on serious differences with Sir Alex Ferguson, the Guardian understands, and will be a devastating blow to the supporters who have come to regard him as a talismanic figure in this troubled era under Malcolm Glazer's ownership.

United may have no option now but to sell the England striker, possibly in the January transfer window, rather than risk his transfer valuation dramatically lowering now that he is only 20 months away from becoming a free agent.

Quote:
Manchester United may have dismissed talk of Wayne Rooney leaving Old Trafford as "nonsense" - but the reality is that the England star may well be heading out of the club in January.

United's reaction to newspaper suggestions that Rooney could be on his way was swift.

"To suggest Wayne Rooney will be sold in January is nonsense," said a club spokesman.

But Press Association Sport understands Red Devils officials have been informed Rooney will not sign a new contract, and therefore may have little option other than to cash in on their most valuable asset.

There has been plenty of speculation about Sir Alex Ferguson's relationship with his star striker since stories about the 24-year-old's private life first surfaced at the beginning of last month.

Rooney appeared to make a direct challenge to Ferguson's authority on Tuesday after England's Euro 2012 qualifier with Montenegro, when he went out of his way to contradict the Scot's claim that he has been suffering from an ankle injury.

Yeah, watched the Everton game in the Hub in Yokohama. Was very pleased with the way Everton played and two good goals for them too. Torres is looking might pissed off recently.

Quote:
Rooney has been in the worst form of his professional life for the last seven months, without a goal in open play since the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich in March. Most worryingly, he is showing few signs of emerging from his current slump.

And he wants a raise of 75%.

lol
Originally Posted By: pie-eater
'There's Sammy Lee...another inbred.....'

You gotta love David Pleat.
lol

I noticed that as well. Cracked me up!

My vote for "crap, but give him more money" goes to Joe Cole. 90k doesn't do him justice.

I only saw the highlights but some fantastic stuff in the Barcelona-Valencia game this week. Well worth watching.

Both Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill are due to speak at a Unicef press conference at lunchtime and they may address Rooney's situation. We'll have regular updates from Andy Hunter, who is attending, and the rest of our team in the north west.

Guardian have it live! lol

Luckily all the attention is on young Wayne, but it sounds like Newcastle's new No. 9 has brayed someone again. What a tool.

The season's only just started, but the early signs are not good for the lads. It's going to be struggle.

So how poor has Rooney been since he injured his ankle against Bayern Munich back in March? Here's how his form compares from August 2009 to before that injury v afterwards (stats from Opta):

Goals per minute on pitch

Pre 1 every 95min 27sec

Post 1 every 563min

Goals per game

Pre 1 every 1.12 games

Post 1 every 8 games

Shots on target

Pre 1.97 per game

Post 0.75 per game

Shots off target

Pre 2.21 per game

Post 1.38 per game

Chances created

Pre 1.59 per game

Post 1.62 per game

Crosses

Pre 2.79 per game

Post 1.75 per game

Dribbles/runs with ball

Pre 2.1 per game

Post 2.5 per game

Passes

Pre 40.66 per game

Post 35 per game

Passing accuracy

Pre 73.79%

Post 78.21%

Tackles

Pre 0.69 per game

Post 0.38 per game

Tackles won

Pre 75%

Post 66.67%

It's usually Fergie that gives the boot not the other way round. Though he hardly goes out of his way to patch things up from all accounts.

But really him demanding 60k a week more on current form and all the bollocks now just doesnt make sense.