The FOOTBALL Thread (2010-2011)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fight to control Liverpool's future is heading for the high court next week, after the chairman, Martin Broughton, insisted he has the legal right to sell the club despite the opposition of Tom Hicks and George Gillett, the American owners.

Broughton and the club's managing director, Christian Purslow, and the commercial director, Ian Ayre, said they had agreed a sale to New England Sports Ventures, owners of the Boston Red Sox baseball team, a deal that would give Hicks and Gillett nothing for their shares nor their £144m loans back to the club.

NESV, a group of 17 investors led by the US multimillionaire John W Henry, has agreed to clear the club's £200m debt with the Royal Bank of Scotland, which Hicks and Gillett borrowed to buy Liverpool in the first place, and meet other liabilities of around £100m. The proposed deal has the backing of the Premier League.

Broughton announced that he has launched legal proceedings to confirm his three-man board majority has the right to conclude the sale, saying: "The owners have tried everything to prevent the deal from happening."

As a football fan, I hope Liverpool can see the back of the current lot and get someone who won't load the club with debt. Same with the Glazers. Footy shouldn't belong to anyone, least of all chancers.

That said, that scouser video is amazing. Its like something you'd make as a pisstake. Skysports News and 606 usually seem to do a beeline for the mongs whenever there is something up at a club, but this is self-created with celebs and professional production. Unbelievable!

Quote:
The prospective new owners of Liverpool could be discouraged from buying the club if next week's court action fails to force the deal through and the club is then placed into administration, incurring a nine‑point penalty from the Premier League. Sources close to the Liverpool battle said the loss of nine points, which could sink the team into a genuine relegation battle, would mean "the economics of the club are devastated", and New England Sports Ventures might reconsider its position.

It was previously thought that the Premier League would not deduct nine points, its penalty for clubs which go into administration, because the holding company would be in default, not the club. However it emerged yesterday that the league's chief executive, Richard Scudamore, believes that the holding company's administration cannot be entirely separated from the club, and the nine-point penalty would apply.
Quote:
Carlos Tevez admits he has grown disillusioned with football and could walk away from the game at any time.

The Manchester City striker has revealed that the stresses of life as a Premier League performer are taking their toll on his body and mind.

He may only be 26, but the Argentina international claims his distinguished career to date has left him drained.

Ahhh, the poor little lamb.

Go on, just go do it you constantly whining nethanderal.
Quote:
The immediate future of Liverpool Football Club will be decided tomorrow morning in the high court, it has been confirmed.

Chairman Martin Broughton's attempt to push through the sale of the club to New England Sports Ventures for £300m, thus removing the possibility of the club being plunged into administration on Friday, depends on Mr Justice Floyd approving the transaction.

Co-owner Tom Hicks is attempting to block it, claiming that the board installed by RBS to sell the club did not have the authority to do so against the wishes of the shareholders.

Wonder who Mr Floyd supports?
Or if he gets any threats in the next 12 hours!?

CARLOS Tevez has asked the Premier League to consider overhauling the entire football rulebook as his legs are a bit tired.

And then there's all the armour and the chainmail and the really big axe

The Argentinian Halloween costume has hinted he may quit football as the eight-hour week begins to take its toll. Family and friends have expressed their concern after the striker seemed bored and listless during a recent helicopter shopping expedition.

Tevez said: "Every few days I run, I kick things and I pull a shirt over my massive head. It's a nightmare.

"I'd rather be stealing discarded fruit rinds from the gutters of Buenos Aires. There was a naturally laid-back pace to grinding poverty that you just don't get by being a multimillionaire ball-nudger."

Under new guidelines dictated to Tevez's manager by the player as he sprawled idly on a reproduction Louis XIV cinema chair while gnawing on a bison, games would be divided into six easily-managed chunks of five minutes, with a long enough break between sections for a quick spa, a massage and some bison.

The pitch would also be shortened to 20 yards to ease the burden on goal celebrations, meaning Tevez would never have more than a brief golf buggy ride to thank fans for paying his £12,000 an hour wages.

The move has been backed by Manchester City fans desperate to retain the services of the economy-size hobgoblin, regardless of the terms of his contract.

City supporter Roy Hobbs said: "I first heard the news when I came home from my 12-hour shift at the pie-gristle factory and I could just weep for the poor little fella.

"I'd have signed the petition myself if my exhaustion-induced hallucinations didn't keep turning the laptop into an enormous cyborg cheeseburger that wants to eat my testicles."

Big day then.

Telegraph has this

The BBC has reported that Lim, a stockbroker and one of Singapore's wealthiest men, held advanced talks with Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton about buying out current owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett. Lim was left frustrated, though, after Broughton agreed a £300 million deal with New England Sports Ventures (NESV) last week.

However, such is the uncertainty surrounding Liverpool's future (the club's owners will face their chief creditors Royal Bank of Scotland in the High Court on Tuesday) Lim believes his chances of a successful takeover remain alive.