The FOOTBALL Thread (2010-2011)

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
offtopic

Care to bring the topic back on track with some football info Rob?

What would you like to hear?

statistics?
transfers?
rumours?
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only player to have scored for two countries is Robert Prosinecki who represented Yugoslavia in 1990 scoring against the United Arab Emirates, and Croatia in 1998 scoring against Jamaica.

I know.

We'll have to wait a few more weeks I think.

The only interesting thing I heard was United not interested in Joe Cole. Maybe not that interesting!

Originally Posted By: thursday
Fabregas is itching to go but arse are being greedy bastards.

Torres wants to join Barce too. You can just see it in his face at training in SA.

What **** me off about this, is the blatant tapping up Barcelona are doing, yet with them being UEFA's darh-lings of European football, are doing sweet **** all about it.

If they can pay 40mil plus Eto'o for Ibrahimavoic, they can **** well pay full whack for Fabregas, who at 24, still has lots more potential and skills to come over the rest of his career. He signed a contract until 2014.
Quote:

Liverpool target Marseille's Didier Deschamps as new manager to replace Rafael Benitez

Marseille president Jean-Claude Dassier has revealed Liverpool have contacted him about Didier Deschamps, but he has told them they have no chance of tempting the Ligue 1 winning coach away from Stade Velodrome.

Speculation has been rife over who will take charge at Anfield since Rafael Benitez left the club at the beginning of the month, with Kenny Dalglish and Roy Hodgson among the current frontrunners.

However, Dassier claims Deschamps is the man Liverpool want.

"It's true, Liverpool's executive director, Christian Purslow, called me Thursday morning," the OM president told L'Equipe. "He speaks French very well, is very polite.

"I was expecting his call because I had heard of Liverpool's interest in Didier. He asked me if I would allow him to meet Didier and (agent) Jean-Pierre Bernes.

"I replied that I would never forbid anyone from meeting whoever.

"I also kindly indicated to him that there wasn't the slightest chance for him to pinch our coach. Even in his dreams."

Deschamps' contract runs out at the end of next season and he is yet to pen an extension.

However, Dassier is confident of keeping the former Marseille midfielder.

He continued: "With Didier, we have a trusting relationship.

"I hope he will commit himself to us for another year. I'm not worried.

"It's true also that Didier is flattered to see a great European club interested in him."

Deschamps is regarded as one of Europe's best young managers and has had an impressive start to his career since taking over the reins at Monaco in 2001.

He steered the principality side to the Coupe de la Ligue title just two years after taking his first managerial post and led them to the Champions League final the following season.

The former France international, who won the World Cup and European Championship in an illustrious playing career, then helped Juventus to the Serie B title in his one season at the Bianconeri.

The 41-year-old took charge at Marseille last summer and led them to their first Ligue 1 title in 18 years.

Deschamps was Zidane's bum pal in the world cup winning squad. The headbutter wanted him in, so he pressured the manager.

Whoever Pool gets, they're welcome to it.

BBC news seem quite sure it is hodgson. I remember them reporting mourinho and c.ronaldo to real in the same way a few days before it was official.

Looks like it. Can't say I know too much about him.

Quote:
Liverpool are on the verge of naming Roy Hodgson as their new manager.

The 62-year-old has been the frontrunner to replace Rafael Benítez as Liverpool manager since the Spaniard accepted a £6m severance pay-off to leave the club earlier this month. The Fulham manager also has admirers within the Football Association and has been touted among the leading candidates to succeed Fabio Capello following England's dismal failure at the World Cup.

Hodgson has long coveted the England manager's job but, despite the possibility of the vacancy arising within a fortnight, he looks set to be confirmed as Liverpool's new manager possibly as early as today.

Negotiations between Anfield officials and the former Internazionale coach have advanced significantly since Hodgson's return from commentary duties in South Africa, to the extent that only the specifics of his Liverpool contract have now to be resolved. Liverpool are happy to meet the £2.5m compensation fee payable to Fulham under the terms of Hodgson's 12-month rolling contract at Craven Cottage.

I don't feel it is a good appointment. And I think they rushed into it fearing that the England job is up for grabs. I don't think his track record is anything special, he nearly got Fulham relegated only 2 years ago.

I guess one of three thing happens (I put my estimated probability in backets):

1) Keep the players, get some trophies next year (5%)

2) Keep the players, have another crap year and end 6th or so (70%)

3) Lose the players, have a really crap year and finish lower than 10th (25%)

Someone please quote me at seasons end.