The FOOTBALL Thread (2010-2011)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno but Swansea and Cardiff joined the English FA a long time ago, I think the agreement was that they could compete in england but couldn't get 1 of the european places.......dunno how that would pan out nowadays.

Quote:
Paul Scholes has announced his retirement from football with immediate effect, Manchester United have said.

There had been speculation about Scholes’s future in the past few weeks as the 36-year-old appeared to grow dissatisfied with his bit-part role.

Scholes confirmed that view this morning, saying: “This was not a decision I have taken lightly but I feel now is the right time for me to stop playing.

“I am not a man of many words, but I can honestly say that playing football is all I have ever wanted to do and to have had such a long and successful career at Manchester United has been a real honour. To have been part of the team that helped the club reach that 19th title is a great privilege.â€

Despite his retirement, Scholes is not leaving Old Trafford. He has accepted a coaching role with United from the start of next season. He will also play in his testimonial match in August.

Thanks Paul.

thumbsup
Originally Posted By: big-will
I doubt they will be fighting for CL positions next season somehow...!

true, the only reason I know that is becasue Cardiff (or was it Swanaea?) made the League cup final a couple of seasons back against Portsmouth and I remember reading that even if they won, they couldn't play in the UEFA Cup

Sad that Scholesy is finishing but totally expected.

He is such a fantastic player though.

Lets hope he doesn't teach the youngsters about tackling tips! lol

Latest "Crap Manager" story:

Quote:
Senior figures at Villa were tied up with more pressing matters as Houllier hampered the club's search for a replacement with legal wrangling over the size of his pay-off. As reported in Sportsmail, Houllier has medical reports that state he is fit to return. Villa contest those.

Clauses in the manager's contract protect the club from a pay-out in excess of £5million if the Frenchman is forced out by ill-health.

What is in dispute is whether his employment is being terminated because of that or if he is being sacked.

Bloody hell, I wish I was a crap football manager.

Thought he was gone.

Then again, he apparently doesn't cost much and only when he plays (?), so not a big investment. Whether he's much use or not is a different matter.

Yep I was sort of surprised by that, though if Berba is leaving and Owen is ready to stay on da benchi not costing us much at all - he could potentially come in useful. I suppose. Dunno actually. It's hardly the news of the summer.