The FOOTBALL Thread (2010-2011)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes friends: a new dawn, a new day. King Kenny is bringing in the fresh young blood, demanding 100% say on transfers.

The Kenneth era beginneth!

actually its funny to see Liverpool go from strength to strength without Gerrard. earlier on in the season i was frustrated with him cos he seemed to want to do everything and it was getting in the way of other people. Of course I still think he should play when he is fit, but maybe he'll have to concentrate more on one position rather than all 10 smile

Manchester United supporters have begun a campaign on fans' forums and on Twitter to get the Paul Hardcastle song 19 to No1 in the charts for this Sunday, when United may have already been crowned champions for the 19th time by beating Blackburn Rovers.

The song, first released in 1985 and highlighting the average age of soldiers who fought in the Vietnam war, costs 79p to buy from iTunes and it is expected that 30,000 downloads would be enough to top the UK singles chart.

United's fierce rivalry with Liverpool is the chief motivation behind the move. The Merseyside club is currently level on 18 titles with United, whose fans need little encouragement to crow about their impending record 19th title. Sir Alex Ferguson's statement in an interview with the Guardian in 2002 that his greatest achievement was "knocking Liverpool right off their **** perch" is seen as another reason why United fans want to attract maximum publicity to this title win.

Hardcastle, whose song topped the charts for five weeks in 1985 before being toppled by Crowd's charity cover of You'll Never Walk Alone, is a Chelsea supporter, further motivation for United supporters to inflict more pain on their closest rivals this season, whose title hopes they ended on Sunday. The musician isn't taking the campaign too badly and seems happy with the publicity. "My twitter has exploded today," Hardcastle said. "So the challenge to the MU fans is get it back in the charts then, works for me."

But while some supporters have encouraged others to buy 19 to "make the Scousers cry" some believe downloading a song about the Vietnam war to celebrate winning the Premier League poses moral questions.

One poster by the name of Carlsberg King said on Manchester United's official website: "It's just a pity the song is about the poor soldiers who were basically kids fighting (and dying) in Vietnam. In which case I don't think it's particularly appropriate."

In response it was suggested that perhaps supporters could encourage EMI, who own the rights to the song, to give a percentage of the proceeds from sales to Vietnam veterans' associations. Hardcastle is supportive of this idea. "I'm asking EMI to put proceeds to charity," he said. "I see it then as a good cause. Anyway, we [Chelsea] will have the title back in 2012."

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Everyone knows this already, but, here is the greatest football manager ever, anywhere up until now and forever

4sOo.gif

clap

Sir Fergie. Bloody brilliant. A legend to legends.
He is unique, a one-off and will be irreplaceable.

Bur really, he should bow to no man other than himself. wink

When he and Sir Giggsy retire, it will certainly be a very sad day. I might even cry.

He is a very good manager but the "greatest" ever.....Bob Paisley for me!
Originally Posted By: stemik
He is a very good manager but the "greatest" ever.....

Too bloody right. Undisputed! wink

Look "greatest ever footie manager" up in the dictionary and you'll see a pic of Fergie.
Quote:
Qatar's controversial success in taking the 2022 World Cup to the desert was propelled by millions of dollars in bribes, according to previously unpublished conversations key figures connected with Fifa held with undercover reporters.

I just can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
World Cup final referee Howard Webb dedicated his MBE to 'the lads who work with me'.

Rotherham-based Webb, who took charge of the controversial 2010 final between Spain and Holland in South Africa, was at Buckingham Palace to receive the honour.

He further apologied to the FA and Chelsea for letting Manchester United beat them last weekend, even after trying as hard as he could to prevent it from happening. "I did all I can to prevent it and let the race continue at least another week", the slaphead mused.

Can we wrap up the league today or take the first step to screwing it up big time? Knowing United they will probably lose today and then get a last minute goal to draw at Blackpool.... never the easy way! wink

I'm not holding out any hope but it would be very funny if they screwed it up now.

Seen that the FA are trying to book Fergie again - this time for saying something positive about Webb before the game last week. Very strange. Bet he wasn't so positive about him at the end.

lol

I am absolutely **** majorly pissed off with todays team, especially resting VDS and having hopeless pig in goal.

It's like they are trying to **** it up.

In fact, he's almost playing like he has been paid off!!!

I might turn it off.