The FOOTBALL Thread (2010-2011)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear

Quote:
Wayne Rooney is increasingly open to the idea of completing the most rancorous and staggering transfer of modern times by leaving Manchester United for Manchester City.

He has informed United he has no intention of signing a new contract and is ready to contemplate following Carlos Tevez's path across Manchester and the potential minefield and recriminations of swapping one club for the other.

Carlos Ancelotti, the Chelsea manager, confirmed today that he would be interested in Rooney if he could establish any sense on the player's part that he would be willing to move to Stamford Bridge. But the reigning Footballer of the Year is leaning more towards City, acutely aware of the potential riches of joining the wealthiest club in England.

Although a perception has built that he wants to move to Spain, he has told team-mates that City, not Real Madrid or Barcelona, is the more realistic destination. Rooney has come to dislike aspects of life in England, specifically the media intrusion, and is open-minded about moving abroad, but there are other issues.

Just in:

Reports were emerging this morning that bull-necked voluptuary Wayne Rooney is set to leave Manchester United in the foreseeable future, or possibly stay at Old Trafford for the foreseeable future, following the striker’s surprise omission from the Red Devils’ starting XI against West Brom on Saturday.

Rooney, who has been linked to any club with more money than sense by various tabloids with more pages than stories, is reportedly unhappy at being dropped in favour of lethargic sulk-monkey Dimitar Berbatov, because the 24-year old “quite likes playing football, almost as much as he enjoys paying over the odds for prostitutesâ€, according to a source close to the club.

It’s thought that Rooney will train with the first team squad this week and, as the season goes on, he may well either leave Manchester United or, equally plausibly, stay at Old Trafford because it’s a media-driven load of old fuss about nothing.

Failure to generate a huge transfer story out of this minor incident could see the media revisit the Fabregas-to-Barcelona saga, which was only dropped when it became clear that the dead news period immediately after the World Cup was almost over and the season was about to start anyway.

Split I'd say Mr Ball.

On the one hand he was brilliant.

On the other, he's been limp for half a year now and he isn't seemingly taking the best care of himself and etc etc.

And his "wage demands" that are being bandied about are pretty funny.

Ladbrookes has him top odds for staying.

Just go FFS, this is getting really annoying. And with the shitty ManU form, all this distraction is not helping.

First Shrek leave, then Rudolf retires, then the Glazers lose it all.

"OliverKayTimes Alex Ferguson: "David Gill told me [Rooney's] agent wanted away. I couldn't believe it. It was a shock." #MUFC"

"DTGaurdian 'Fergie: "His agent has intimated he won't sign a contract and he wants away. It's a shock."

"Alex Ferguson: "David Gill told me [Rooney's] agent wanted away. I couldn't believe it. It was a shock." #MUFC"

"Alex Ferguson on Rooney: "The player is adamant. He says he wants to leave. We have to deal the next part in terms of this request."

So there it is.

Wow.

Shocked at Fergies comments.

The fans will be behind Fergie is my guess.

Wow indeed.

Sir Alex Ferguson: "They are not willing to listen to any offers from us now.

So Rooney wanted out before the season even started - before the prostitute scandal, before the 'injury' and recent absence from the team.

Quote:
Fergie: "I feel we have to keep door open, simply because such a good player, and we've done nothing but help him in private life. We're bemused because we can't understand why he would want to leave a club this successful. We don't understand it"

More dosh perhaps, and the hookers that will buy.

Bye bye shrek. Asshole egos grow into bigger arseholes.

"His agent has intimated he won't sign a contract and he wants away. It's a shock."

"terribly disappointed by news because we can't understand it"

"There's an offer, if he's prepared to discuss. I know David Gill prepared to offer contract difficult to better elsewhere."

"I've never had an argument with Wayne at any time - he did have an injury and he confirmed it himself in interview with Sky"

"he said he wasn't injured and that was disappointing because we know fine well he was"

"I feel we have to keep door open, simply because he's such a good player, and we've done nothing but help him in private life"

"We've done nothing but help him at this club. Manchester United is that kind of club. We're as bemused as anyone can be"

"the player says he's adamant he wants to leave"

More fighting words. This is getting nasty.

Next summer, Rooney can buy out the rest of his contract for five million quid and join anyone as a free agent. Its called the Webster ruling. The more acrimonious the relationship gets, the more likely Rooney will be to pull that kind of stunt. Selling him to whoever will pay up at least something in January (Citeh?) may be the only move. With his contract and form, it seems fanciful to suggest they'll get tens of millions for him.

So what to make of Sir Alex Ferguson's press conference? The first obvious thing to note was the United manager's genuine bemusement, boarding on exasperation. In word and posture Ferguson seemed almost resigned to losing the player, despite maintaining that 'the door is still open.'

Ferguson looks genuinely down about all this, claiming that United have done nothing other than look after Rooney since he arrived at Old Trafford. The 'door is left open' for this to be resolved with Rooney staying - though it sounds like Rooney has expressed his desire to leave in no uncertain terms.

Ferguson says everyone at United is 'bemused' as t why he wants to go. He doesn't understand. "We can speculate, we can express opinions....but we can do no more than that."

This too:

If it was a genuine hands in the air bewilderment that in itself is astonishing from a man who has been there, done it and bought the T-shirt in the past. If it was a calculated rouse to make Rooney make the next move you have to tip your hat as well.