The FOOTBALL Thread (2010-2011)

Guardian

Quote:
75 min Question: why have United given up leads in three of their opening five Premier League teams. Is it too simplistic to blame Evans, who has looked jelly-in-a-storm wobbly this season? Or does playing a couple of 35-year-olds in Giggs and Scholes inevitable mean your team will tire late on? Thoughts welcome ...

Interesting.

Difficult to critisize the legends, easier to do so for Evans.

Apparently Rio was "feeling ill" or something.

confused

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
Freakishly looking very frail. What the.... pool were meant to be humiliated at OT. Instead it was a nail your arse sorta display.

Not liking this direction. All too tentative.

If "scores are all that count", then why the concern?

It very much does count who plays and does what or not.

cos the score will not come if it is all too frail. doh

I don't care who played well or not. I care only on the outcome.

United played the most elegant football ever seen in the history of football, but they alas lost 16-0 to Scunthorpe. Simple no?

Turned out to be a fun game though honestly United deserved to win it. We didn't create much at all. Not sure whats going on with Torres, but lets hope he snaps out of it soon.

Not keen on him trying to get players sent off, or Nanis theatrics either.

Cracking performance by Berbatov, he has really changed since last year it seems. 6 in 5 games?

That was pretty dull for sixty minutes but it livened up in the end. Lots of bad sportsmanship on display though, even from so-called "model pros" like Giggs. There should be zero tolerance.

Of course, both teams would win "the double or the league every year" with the right manager.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/17/blackburn-sam-allardyce-inter-real

Straight into the ref's face after he awarded a stonewall penalty. I don't like their sport, but all the rugger buggers who slag football have a point when it comes to moaning diving fairies.

Can't say I noticed that. I was probably cursing Evans at the time.

But I'd like to give Giggsy the benefit of the doubt. Was there something else going on at the same time perhaps, or something in the build up to it? It's not as if he is generally a big offender in these things. I think Giggsy deserves a bit of slack, certainly more than most places.

Now Nani on the other hand....

I think Nani was particularly displeased early on by the foul which probably should have been a penalty and that dude constantly having a go at him. Likely made him more prone to put on the act.

Not a good thing of course, but if people can get away with stuff like that...

Quote:
DIMITAR Berbatov will spend the next eight months sipping absinthe from a jade goblet after completing his 90 minutes of effort for the season.

The Bulgarian striker paused from writing his latest tome of symbolist poetry to score a hat-trick against Liverpool, which he later dedicated to the 12 catamites currently residing in his Moroccan summer home.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "The lad's done well, especially when you consider he'd been awake for the last three days arguing about the films of Jean Cocteau with a gang of Turkish sailors.

"While he has cut down on the Gauloises, he did nearly poke Nani's eye out with his alabaster cigarette holder in training the other week going for a header."

Many fans criticised the decision to sign the Bulgarian at the age of 27, especially after he published his 2008 art manifesto in Berlin that insisted true greatness could only be achieved by dying of consumption at the age of 30 while clutching a battered copy of Crime and Punishment in your nicotine-stained fingers.

But the striker made history yesterday, becoming the first Nobel literature laureate to score a hat-trick against Liverpool since Herman Hesse turned out for Preston North End in 1946.

Berbatov said: "The dichotomy for the modern player lies in the tension between the needs of the team and the ambition of the individual. Do I strike the ball or does the ball strike what I perceive to be me?"

He added: "So when O Shea's knocked it over, I've just outjumped big Jamie Carra at the far stick and gave it the beans into the back of the net.

"'Foot' ball is, is it not, a beautiful, terrible, mesmersing unicorn. To quote Peter Beardsley."