I know at Whakapapa on Mt. Ruapehu they keep the waterfall express chair cable running 24/7 in winter to prevent this from happening, well at least they did 15 years ago.

The force going threw the towers with the cable waving up and down as ice drops off must be tremendous.

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
Quite crazy! Mt Ruapehu have been rather unlucky - there was an arson attack last year on their main Whakapapa cafeteria and a snow groomer shed with 3 groomers in it (link - Stuff.co.nz)

that's really crappy sadface I remember when they updated it in the early '90s, with the klong drop toilet before that

rode there last year. I would come flying down the mountain and hit football field size patches of ice. Didny buy a pass this year. The mountain would suck without that lift. Basically like suginohara without the top lift!

Originally Posted By: boardbaka
That`s a good analogy there WW - just been reading about the cafeteria - The one being built is meant to be amazing - now just work on the snow making possibly

Ruapehu has a great vibe. I rode probably 20 days there last year. However I wouldnt go for the snow. They have plenty of snow making its just that the temperature is too variable (high - low) for making snow.