Surely it has to be the worse day of the year.

And why does both my health and town/pref tax always seem to go up in bigger % chunks than does my salary.

And why do they pretend to explain it on the back sheet. As if anyone other than a tax/accountant nerd would understand what the heck that's all going on about.

grandpa

T.B. yeah, the office asked me what I preferred when I first started here, and I asked what options do I have. They gave me a bunch I asked them to take all of the taxes out. Id just rather not see that money in the first place ya know? Our accountants are excellent, almost down to the yen, so I hardly see any of it back which is fine by me.

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
From my salary.
I would have thought that was the norm rather than the other way round.

not just companies, some schools as well...or maybe they just didnt give me the option. You might think that, but with all the people paying it that way I dont think so. I wonder what % doesnt get it deducted? Definitely the fuuuriiiiiita dont and they make up a big % of the population, right?
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
It's nice if the tax goes from your pay automatically and I actually like it when it is miscalculated and you get stuff back - it is kinda like enforced savings biggrin

I usually seem to get some back. Don't really understand why, but when it's coming back to me I don't need the explanations that I do the other way round!

Interesting topic - may as well contribute - Firstly, I found out the hard way recntly that it`s all worked a year back - I worked for a company for five years that paid it all out of HK now being stung for a chunk due June 20th - It`s like it`s designed to try make you leave if you find yourself out of work - not sure if this is the same for the locals or not - does anybody know ?

It's based on your previous tax years wage. Pretty sure exactly the same for locals. If you don't earn much this tax year then the next bill will be much lower.