Think about this: How long can you go without alcohol?

How long have you gotten on without alcohol? Not a sip, not a sniff, not even a lick.

I tried this experiment for wanting to test my self control. One day, I just got up and decided not to drink alcohol. Nothing. Not a drop. It turned out really easy. There was no craving but a mild "let's just have one" thing whenever I walked past a bar. But it was all very controllable.

I am on 65 days now. Not a drop and I think I may continue for continuing sake.

So for all of us out there: it aint hard if you just don't give a damn.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have done just over 12 months in one go. Things were getting out of hand .....

Also another 6 months but put on too much weight from eating ice cream instead so went back to drinking beer :(

Now just drink a little, especially in China although after some "intersting long distance interactions' with the girl went and did the Aussie thing and got SMASHED on the grain alcohol 3 weeks ago and am still suffering. 4 beers since....

went a month once in Uni for the same reason, just wanted to see how easy it would be. Last summer after my mega booze holiday I decided to get off it...lasted until that 1st weekend.

Actually recently I've started to keep a tally of booze free days and the reading isn't actually good. In the past week I've only had 2 days booze free! omg But in saying that 3 of those days I've had 2 beers or less so its not as bad as it seems

Your next target of self control should be - can I consistently have 5 pints a night. Can you?

Once, in real life (ie not when I was a student when you can miraculously recover from hangovers quickly) I got so absolutely madly drunk with such a bad hangover that I was off booze for 2+ months. I just couldn't face it.

It was probably double that before I resumed a normal relationship with beer!

1 night off it so far but I know I'll have a few tomorrow arvo/evening. I was going to have a month off it before the new baby came however she came a month and 1 day early.

The season is worst for me. It's part of my job. cheers banner

Goodness, SJ booze hounds on a detox!

I am booze free WAY more than I am drinking, it is not something I ever have to do, and rarely have more than 2 or 3 drinks even when I got out to a party. A couple of times a year I might go nuts.

But as of tonight - ummm ... I drank on Saturday (Ladies Day at Rugby) - was booze free until tonight - had 2 champagnes out with the girls to see Sex and the City. But seeing as I have been in hospital that is not such an amazing achievement really. What IS amazing is I felt well enough to go out and have a couple of champers with my buddies.

I could definitely stop drinking cold turkey if I wanted to. I drink a lot, but I also am really active. Right now I find it to be a good balance. When I work more and get less exercise I will slow down on drinking.

Getting smashed is off the agenda for me these days. I can easily go 2-3 weeks without a drop and when I do drink, it will only be 3-4.

If I never drank again it wouldn't worry me. I love waking up early, fresh and clear, then hitting the surf.

smile

Originally Posted By: Mantas

If I never drank again it wouldn't worry me. I love waking up early, fresh and clear, then hitting the surf.
smile

Exactly the same for me - that hungover feeling hasn't been felt for almost 2 months and I LOVE not having it.

2 months booze free Rob? Wow! Good on you. I was contemplatng doing it for a month before summer but then I forgot the World Cup is on and I do enjoy a beer watching the footy

Yeah, was strange watching a game with a glass of coke, but am finding I can last for longer.

Gonna need it with the three footy games tonight. omg

But living in the Fuj' and NOT drinking? Impossible. wink

haha! too true Rob! Today for example, such a nice day, prob gonna head down the beach with some mates.....inevitably we start drinking.

You gonna be able to handle watching England with nothing stronger than a glass of coke?

yawn just got up

I don't drink much usually totally under control.

I can drink a fair bit at parties and enjoy that every now and again.

But hangovers get worse as you get older hey.

Originally Posted By: Mantas

smile

Yep when the surf is on & I am getting up at anywhere from 4:30-5:30 to hit it, I want to have a clear head. Though getting hammered on the first wave can sometimes do it for me!

Funny thing when I got off the piss in Japan, some mornings I was waking up feeling worse! Only the first week or so but was thinking why bother.

Good on you Thurs, I often think, why do we need to drink to have a good time, relax etc. I won't give it up though!

Why bother with booze free? I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, my GP approves, and that's good enough.

Except for snow (for which there is NO LIMIT) everything in moderation is my motto.

Interesting topic.

And good luck thursday.

I'm just a light drinker myself so no need to prove anything, just enjoy a drink every now and again.

Pardon for asking, but did you have (or nearly have) a bit of a drinking problem thursday?