Restaurants and shops at Japanese ski resorts

Not a very exciting subject, sorry, but.... do places at/near resorts in Japan charge more than places a bit further out? Can I expect to be ripped off on the mountain?

Cheers!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Costs are usually higher on mountain than in the city - so I wouldn't necessarily say higher prices are 'being ripped off', more like paying a premium for the convenience of having that service at your doorstep.

If you take Niseko as an example, I feel "ripped off" every where except Hanazono (a little pricey but good) and the little cafeteria at the bottom of Annupuri. Everywhere else is expensive and not particularly good.

(note that's just the "on-resort" establishments, not counting the private restaurants nearby)

No they aren't. Beers were normal price, 500-600 yen for a regular mug of beer. Most bars we went into were actually 500 yen a beer. On mountain as well they were 500-600 yen a beer, not cheap but not expensve.

Can't remember the names of the bars, one around the corner from Wild Bills, another beside the Vale, Wild Bills wasn't that expensive either. Never went into the Irish pub,

Can't see why anyone would feel ripped off at the Ace Hill restaurant, some of the best on-mountain food I've ever found in Japan and the prices are reasonable. yummy

Sorry, that's at Niseko for those who don't know.

Prices aren't so bad, but the problem I found was with snacks and bottled drinks tending to be more expensive than in a supermarket or convini. Not by much, maybe from 10 - 50 yen more really.

Beer has the biggest price difference, think in Kagura, the beer costs 500/600 for a large one, but in convini is more like 290yen or so.

Thats the same everywhere isn't it.

Back home a can of lager is dirt cheap but buy it in a pub or restaurant and the price goes up. In a nice pub or restaurant, it's worth the difference or course, not sure the Kagura restaurant counts there!

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Can't remember the names of the bars, one around the corner from Wild Bills, another beside the Vale, Wild Bills wasn't that expensive either. Never went into the Irish pub,

Lars Longcox/Longcocks (which is it...??) was pretty damn cheap - cheap beers, cheap eats for large amounts. GREAT VALUE.
Originally Posted By: thursday
where you go? It's 700 at Hana, 900 at Paddy Irish, 700 at Kogen mess hall. You on frazzles or summat?

Y900 at Paddy's?? Not sure what you ordered but the normal price Y500. Heaps of bars in town where it's Y500.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Prices aren't so bad, but the problem I found was with snacks and bottled drinks tending to be more expensive than in a supermarket or convini. Not by much, maybe from 10 - 50 yen more really.

Beer has the biggest price difference, think in Kagura, the beer costs 500/600 for a large one, but in convini is more like 290yen or so.

If that's a problem (and I don't see it as such) then buy at the convini, carry it around on slope, bury it in the snow for a half hour before you drink it and you'll have saved - Oh, a couple yen - WhooHoo!

The additional price is for the extra hassle of making it available at the point at which you want it. Convenience, it's called, and that comes at a price.
Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: RobBright

If that's a problem (and I don't see it as such) then buy at the convini, carry it around on slope, bury it in the snow for a half hour before you drink it and you'll have saved - Oh, a couple yen - WhooHoo!

The additional price is for the extra hassle of making it available at the point at which you want it. Convenience, it's called, and that comes at a price.

Neither do I, but the original poster asked if prices were different, which is why I started off with "prices aren't so bad".

This question is mainly asked by Aussies who have to endure prices 2-3 times normal when they go to their ski resorts. In Japan prices are barely 10-20% more than what you would find normally.

Aussie ski resorts are a ridiculous rip-off. You also have to pay up to $35 a day just for the privilege of parking your car at the resort. Lift prices are mostly now over $100 per day as well and accomm prices are very high. You get to pay all that to enjoy some of the worst average snow conditions of any ski area in the world. Awesome huh? lol