I only went to 2007 in March this year. I think I prefer the old one. It was more intuitive. They've also dropped Japanese Bookshelf 2.0, which is old but contains really good dictionaries. Bookshelf 3.0 is pants, as is the "translate" feature which only works when you have a net connection.

I can understand folks tinkering with Bridge, Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc, but word processing? Its not very exciting.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

won't be upgrading 'til 2012 or later. Nobody will risk likely instability in the first 2 years.

I forget which upgrade it was, prob 2003 or something. There was a flaw in the "mark-up" for revisions in word. Our legal docs got sent out with the mark-ups visible to clients. Very embarrasing and confidential stuff went out too. Some lawyers were castrated for that.

Unlike previous versions, this one has been demo-ed and checked extensively by literally hundreds of thousands of people, for if I remember 6-9 months. It's stable.

So for previous big releases from MS, all the banks - after all, MS can't live without the banks can they - upgraded immediately did they? Wow.

Here's me thinking otherwise.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Seems strange that they didn't upgrade to the new version.

Why was that? A cost thing? Is 2007 much cheaper now? Surely it can't be because of the old "there's always loads of bugs in new software" argument?

With a very wide user base (thousands spread all over the state, many in one or two person operations) there was a need to ensure compatability (and yes, to control costs a bit) and also to ensure minimal disruption from bugs - don't tell me you don't think there are any!

I bought Office 2007 pretty much when it came out and installed it to replace my previously ancient version. Didn't have a single problem once. Makes me laugh all this talk of bugs and massive problems. Never had any. With the amount of testing this new version has had, and the pretty good reviews all round, I would buy again. If I had any money and felt I needed it!

Some people just seem to get off endlessly moaning and bashing Microsoft / Apple / Sony other big hugely successful company, regardless of the merits of the product.

Others just enjoy things they feel like enjoying and have less stressful existence!

wavey

What version of Office were you replacing, oh womble?

I have a healthy disrespect for a company which constantly tells us that they know best, by adding "features" that are less then useful to the majority of users and leaving out features that are useful.

Has anyone ever heard just why Windows 7, for example, has no mail client?

Originally Posted By: JA

Don't know the name of it, a previous one.
Does that matter?
Had zero problems with Vista and 7 either when I first got those.

Quote:

Don't even understand the question, never mind care.

lol
I find it all quite amusing actually.
Originally Posted By: orinoco
Originally Posted By: JA

Don't know the name of it, a previous one.
Does that matter?

Not really, just interested from a tech point of view.
Originally Posted By: orinoco
Had zero problems with Vista and 7 either when I first got those.

Quote:

Don't even understand the question, never mind care.

lol
I find it all quite amusing actually.

OK, Vista had MSMail as a built in email client (the thing that allows tou to read emails). Win 7 has no equivalent. True, you can get emails through webmail clients in IE or browsers, but why did they drop the built in email reader? Maybe to make people buy Office, which has Outlook. Cynical? Too right!

It certainly would be shocking if a company worked to release products - and try to make a profit on that work!!!!! veryshocked

JA, what's your commentary on the significantly lower price for Office 2010? You must be disappointed that it isn't more expensive than Office 2007. doh

Originally Posted By: loaf of bread
Originally Posted By: thursday
Ever heard of software support? MS makes money by having ongoing service support.

Care to explain what that has to do with it?

no.
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
It certainly would be shocking if a company worked to release products - and try to make a profit on that work!!!!! veryshocked

JA, what's your commentary on the significantly lower price for Office 2010? You must be disappointed that it isn't more expensive than Office 2007. doh

NFI, why disappointed?. Is it cheaper? Have 2003 at home, Work bought 2007, Not at all fussed about 2010 yet.

The MS site has been updated.

3100 yen to download the English language pack.

Free would be better, but worth having if you are lumbered with a Japanese version of the software and prefer friendly English everywhere.