So, what's your 2010/2011 Japan ski plans then?

Niseko wins. Ive given up on furano. smile

So my plan is this:

arrive 8th Jan, leave 5th Feb.

take an avi training course as soon as i arrive and learn how to do a dig a proper snow pit for testing.

take a back country tour as soon as i complete the avi training.

Spend a week getting my stamina up with little hikes.

Spend next fortnight riding fields of pow safely(ish). smile

Try not to die and observe all the avi warnings.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: seemore
Gee must have been a tough year did you put aphrodisiacs in the local water supply rollabout

you do know she was joking about the occupation, yeah?

Originally Posted By: seemore
I need some friends

I am sure you will find some. Do you have plenty of Biru money?

MB

No i didn't know she was joking, I thought it would be a profitable business.

Still looking for friends I will wait till closer to the time before I start buying friends.

Seemore

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Gee must have been a tough year did you put aphrodisiacs in the local water supply rollabout

you do know she was joking about the occupation, yeah?

rollabout MB I had totally forgot about that little white lye rollabout I was trying to figure it out what he meant and thought he must have meant I had drugged Mr Snowhunter smile.

Wish I could say we paid for our seats but we upgraded with frequent flyer points - Oh well who cares still going Business Class!! Better up my act a little huh!! wink

What? No traveling in the dominatrix outfit?! lol

Excellent work getting the upgrade!

I would LOVE to go business on the overnight Perth/Tokyo flight - but the shite plane on that route has those awful slightly larger seats that are just NOT worth it. Now if it was a troubled A380....

Pete, CLASSIC. Munich, the town my then 9 yr old will always remember for its copious kebab shops (or kebap as they are often called), and just as many sex shops!

Yeah SH

I didn't want to make it obvious so I just hinted at it and thought you would know.

Good joke though I am glad a few people got a laugh.

Have a good trip/s.

Seemore

flight booked to Sapporo for 12/21

Will be at the black diamond lodge for the 2010/11 season. Come say hi and ski! Probably doing a lot in and around hirafu, rusutsu, teine, etc.

Would love to meet some of the SJers in and around Hokkaido.

Originally Posted By: aomorigum
Looks like I am going to be moving down to Tokyo/Saitama so places closer to there will be my target this next season.

Yep will be in Saitama later this month so be able to explore a whole lot more different places.

To all you folks who are planning trips to ski destinations for a month or two at a time, etc; I am curious to know more about the kind of arrangements you make for where to stay. Do you camp out, stay in hostels? Couch surf at friends' houses? Or just kind of sap your $avings? I am starting a fairly lengthy road trip here pretty soon- here's to hoping some of you might have some insight on the subject.

I'm not usually one to commit to a set plan and reservations; more of a storm chaser, me. I like to go where the gettin's good, when it's good, get face shots and maybe brag about it later. Me no likie investing in a big trip and come to find out it's a hot spell and raining when I get there. If that kind of thing just doesn't happen in Japan, then do call me out. (Good vibes for lots of snow this winter!) But I am curious where people sleep during month-long trips. Is there an alternative to hotel Nissan that I'm not aware of? Or do I need to become independently wealthy?

Hey QC,

Personally, I've done a few trips for three - four weeks at a time but rarely camp out in my car (they call it ピーキャンプ as in parking lot camp) I only do that in the summer time when I go on surf trips.

For those who do have a car you can usually find really budget accommodation just outside of the ski resort areas. If you settle into a place for a month or so they usually can give you a really good deal. One place I stayed in last season was 1500Y a night. Some ski resorts also have rest areas that you can stay in for those people who drive long distances. One that I've stayed at a few times is in Escal plaza in Hakuba, Goryu. It's just the basement of the main resort plaza but we bring futons and make the most of it. It only costs 1000Y a night and its just a bit of floor space... Anyway, there are alternatives to sleeping in your car but you need to do a little searching and unfortunately (for you) planning ahead really helps to reduce costs.

You should check out a series of Japanese ski vids called Kuruma Danshi about dudes who are snow crazy and live out of their vehicles during the winter.