So, what's your 2010/2011 Japan ski plans then?

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mr Brisbane

Plans for 10-11 - Nozawa for a week and Shiga for a week as we intro others to it but oh for the 3rd week - who can help out with a worthwhile destination between Nagano and Narita. We will be 15 down to 4 by then and really want to go somewhere that we haven't been before.

In our valley area I would recommend looking at

Hakkai-san
Maiko
Gala & Ishiuchi
Kagura
Naeba

Could do one each day easily reached from the central Yuzawa town area.

We have just booked our JAL flights for February - into CTS and out of NRT.

2 nights Sapporo for the snow festival

5 nights Tomamu

7 nights Furano

3 nights Asahikawa - skiing, zoo and winter festival

Then we will travel around Hokkaido to visit all the other snow and ice festivals before flying to Matsumoto to see the snow monkeys (again), Takayama and Tokyo.

My fourth trip to Japan and I cant wait!!!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
check out kanon lodge in niseko... pretty sure its listed on this site.

I can recommend Kanon as well. I tried to book at the hostel, but it was full so I ended up staying at the pension. Morio, the owner, is great and super chill. The hostel would be a good and inexpensive setup. Book early though, I got the impression that it fills up quick.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Find a job
eat
ski
´

lol eyes wink
I´m with you on that one.
We are looking for a place real close to the mountains and out of the parents place. We have to get a Job. If we didn´t have our pet rats, we would consider Japan, but hey, we are near the Alps so might as well make the most of it.

Hi

I am looking at going to Niseko in the 2nd half of Feb maybe 18th-25th. It appears looking at the Niseko snow reports that the real powder dumps have tapered off by then. Is this to late to go?

Thanks in advance

Yea I looked through the past few years. It just seemed that the most consistent dumps were mid dec-beginning of feb and then snowfalls became lighter and more interspread. If not thats fantastic news!

Thanks for your help!

We are looking at Myoko Kogen, found the coupon page but it's beyond my meagre Nihongo capability.

Here is the link, can anyone assist with which is best/available to Aussie visitors/valuable. please?

Mama might be able to get her kid to translate?

Akakura skijo

One day lift ticket + lunch + some other vague discount

4700 > 3800 yen

One day ticket

3900 > 2900 yen

Child

2700 > 1700 yen

Nighta (Kumado)

2000 > 1500 yen

Might be last seasons info, don't know.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi

One day lift ticket + lunch + some other vague discount
4700 > 3800 yen

The vague discount is the 'kakushu waribiki ken' which is like a little booklet of discount coupons for places around Akakura Onsen. For that kakushu waribiki ken you get 10% off ski school, 20% off ski or snowboard rentals, 300Y discount at the Landmark Myoko Kogen Hotel onsen, and 400Y off other onsen that are in other hotels or accommodation around the skijo. Also, that coupon expired on March 22, 2010... but usually the discounts are similar from year to year.

I think that all of the hills in Myokon Kogen have different online discounts like that which usually involve free lunch on the hill or about 1000Y off of the lift price. Myoko is a great place to take the family.