So, what's your 2010/2011 Japan ski plans then?

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing planned as yet, but I will be staying for a week in the Minakami area sometime in winter.

Also want to check out a few other places:

Zao

Alts Bandai

Inawashiro

Hunter

And a long as possible stay in Shiga Kogen would be good.

I will be staying in Hakuba for yet another season. I will continue checking out some of the surrounding areas during the quieter times. Already looking forward to it and it's less than a month since I was on the hill. sj

Back to Niseko next year for one more trip. The place is just every thing I want and to make the most of the two weeks and have great conditions I'm reluctant to try any where new just yet.

Got 12 days this trip and hope to get a few days across at Rusushu.

In 2012 I have Long Service Leave so that may be the time to do an extended trip and spend some time heading up north and checking out some of the other ski fields

Thanks guys! eek, sorry about the long story! There is a question in the last paragraph smile

We did quite a lot of research, nearly booked for Niseko, but luckily the same package was much cheaper in Nozawa. I want to show my husband-to-be the same side of Japan I was shown 7 years ago so I'm glad we found Nozawa. Nothing against Niseko, but we've both been to Aussie before. wink

Neither of us speak Japanese or read kanji, the extent of my vocab is (in English because I can't spell the Japanese!) Hello, thank you, sorry, and toilet? So it's going to be good fun and full on, but as far as I can recall I was able to get to grips with the train system easily enough last time (even though I am originally from a city with only three train lines) and we like chaos disguised as us chilling out and fun.

Just wondering about Nozawa's terrain and runs - I'm very new to skiing, like 6 or 7 days total, I've done one advanced run in my short career, but I am pretty confident in my ability to improve steadily. Hoping to get more days in this kiwi winter too. My fiancee on the other hand is amazing, like skiing since he learned to walk, nearly went competitive but his parents wouldn't let him. What runs do you think we should go to our first day or so (ideally challenging for me, as I want to improve enough so that he can have full days on fun runs rather than cruisey family runs)

Just follow your nose. There are plenty of neat places to get to there, and you'll have a blast. Your accom is also very good!

We were there a couple of seasons ago, now, and found a few nice runs through trees down off the ridge. Just try them all, you will have some good times (and not all on the slope!)

When you get PM availability, yell and I'll talk to you about detail.

I can't wait for it, as usual. My plans are to do an avalanche course (probably in Hakuba) and try some properly guided easy backcountry skiing.

As for specific places, I have been talking about going to Zao for several years now, but still haven't been. That's high on the list.

SdS

My plans are current;ly ...

1. to get to Japow again for a couple weeks

2. to spend a goodly portion of that time sliding down snow covered hills on a couple of planks

3. to have a damn good time doing it!

Where? Damned if I know at this moment, all will be revealed as I make decisions. At this moment, I have to worry about the exchange rate, and whether I will be able to afford the trip. (actually, I'll do it even if I cannot afford it, it's been too damned long since I was there for a slide!)

Hi Minty you will love Nozawa we went there this year in feb stayed at Villa Nozawa Marks other lodge found on SJ pages loved it staff so help full. Nozawa slopes have alot of variety and my sons and I had agreat time in the trees also The town is great with many places to eat as well as the onsens.Have agreat trip smile