We are thinking of doing a holiday in Nagano and taking in a few places. I would be interested to hear from people who have been to all the below how they think about this plan, and how many days they would stay in each given a total of perhaps 14 days.

Nozawa - 3 days

Shiga Kogen - 4 days

Sugadaira - 1 day

Madarao - 1 day

Hakuba - 5 days

We are all intermediate style skiers, and will mostly be sticking to the courses of a resort or close to them anyway. We like a bit of a challenge and trying out lots of different places, or thats what we are hoping for anyway. friend

Thank you!

If you don't mind the moving about, that actually sounds like a fairly good mix to me.

If it were me, I might add Myoko to the mix (not Nagano but I'm sure that doesn't matter!)

Nozawa - 3 days

Shiga Kogen - 4 days

Myoko - 3 days

Hakuba - 4 days

We had 7 days in nozawa & 5 in Shiga kogen feb this year.Should of been the other way around.Shiga is so big. But hope to go back to Hakuba next year.Went in there in 2009 for 10 days only did 3 of the 7 resorts we had a pass for. Having to much fun.Will get to some of the others next timeSounds like agreat plan but may be allow a extra day for Shiga & Hakuba biggrin

Yeah, Myoko is a good call. It's a favourite of mine because of accessibility. It's only about five minutes off the expressway. There is also plenty of different runs to keep you busy! Kind of sad I didn't get up there this year...

At any one of those places I think you could spend more time but if you are looking for variety I think mixing it up like that would be a good idea!

yeah ditch sugadaira and Madarao and head for Myoko......its actually not that far from Madarao, you can see Mt Myoko froma Madarao resort. Myoko is a great area. Shiga Kogen is a monster and has something for everyone, if you are staying there I'd suggest staying in Ichinose, its kinda central to all the areas and seems to have the best of a bad bunch of options for eating and some apres beer. I love SK!!

Ah lucky you googie. Im in Baishan, Jilin Prov.

Sounds like a great trip you are planning.

I maybe in Shanghai around the 18th for 8 days or so, depends on the girl. Any suggestions on what to see if I get there? I guess the Expo for a day, mid week. Sorry for the thread hijack.

They don't get mad amounts of snow over there in my experience, but it was top quality when I have been. Fairly quiet, rather spread out. Used to be heli-skiing there but I think they stopped that.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Ah lucky you googie. Im in Baishan, Jilin Prov.

Sounds like a great trip you are planning.

I maybe in Shanghai around the 18th for 8 days or so, depends on the girl. Any suggestions on what to see if I get there? I guess the Expo for a day, mid week. Sorry for the thread hijack.

So much to see and do other than watch all the building work go on!

Have fun, it's easy to find!

Downside if you go to Sugadaira is that it's pretty costly in travel time compared with moving between Shiga/Nozawa/Hakuba/Myoko without offering anything they don't have -- and missing a lot of what they do have. It's a good area for beginners and low intermediates, but doesn't get big dumps of snow and doesn't offer any decently long runs.

There are some nice pensions up there, though.

It indeed doesn't seem to get as much snow but when I have been the snow has been fine. Perhaps not improving on Shiga Kogen, but good all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be my first time to visit Japan this winter and I'm thinking of doing something similar though I will have a bit longer.

Does a trip over to Niigata as well (Yuzawa?) sound worth it?