The "own a place in a Japanese ski resort, but live outside Japan" thread

Some questions that I have. I am sure there are plenty more out there;

Car

- Can a non-resident own a car in Japan ? (I think the answer is "no").

- If not, can a non-resident drive a car owned by a resident and still be covered by their car insurance ?

Originally Posted By: griller
I guess the answer to the 2nd one is "if the driver has a valid licence and the car is insured for a 3rd person to drive", it will be ok. (?)

Probably, but the obvious in Japan is not always so, fme...

A non resident can own a car but first they need to register their address at the local city office and get a Hanko(stamp) and have that registered as well.

A non resident will usually be insured on another persons car insurance as long as as the non resident has a valid drivers licence or permit and they meet the terms in the policy eg over 30 years old etc. Of course Id check with the insurance company but I lent my car out last season and my insurance covered the people when driving.

Originally Posted By: rider69
You can quailify for a Visa if you have invested money into Japan.

Don't really want any type of visa that may mean resident taxes, etc. Perhaps when I am older and spend more time there, but not now.
If you own a place there is no getting around the taxes!

I mean resident taxes, not property taxes. I would presume you only pay the resident taxes if you hold certain visas, although I have no idea if some categories of residency do not require any resident taxes to be paid, for e.g., retirees.

If you only ever enter for holidays, obviously you do not have to pay and resident taxes. All the overseas owners of property that I know enter on holiday visas.
Originally Posted By: boardbaka
whatsthe point of this thread ?

You got your name right.

The thread is for overseas owners of property in Japan to exchange information.

The tax debate is a hot topic. The resident tax is a municipal tax I believe. This tax helps to provide the different levels of service the towns can and do offer. By not paying the tax you or anyone then gets these services for free.

Basically most ski towns in Japan are in bad condition financially. Imagine a Japanese town with 50% of its house owners being non residents. This situation could be quiet harmful to the already sensitive budget books!

This situation could be quiet harmful to the already sensitive budget books!

And even worse if there are no more investors and therefore less visitors if governments try and charge another tax on foreign owners. They should consider the indirect benefits owners add to the economy by paying for services before considering more taxes. We already pay yearly property taxes and plenty more on services for the property. Not to mention what we spend holidaying in Japan each year that could easily be spent in another country.

Yeah the property taxes reaped in by Kutchan Town since the property boom in this region must have increased dramatically. The property boom and the associated tourism to the area would have added many, many millions to the local economy.

You can debate the benefits of the property tax increase and loss of income and other taxes too. Case in point. A person from Canada buys a place in let’s say Myoko. The person conducts all his sales online then pays the income tax in Canada. That persons various customers use the local services etc. So the local economy gets a bit of actionã€maybe let’s say a few jobs. (If those jobs even go to actual locals and not part time people from abroad) From a residents point of view do they feel that it is fair?

Will asking people to pay 200 to 500 dollars extra a year really effect investment? Or does the town do the other sneaky thing and just raise its local property taxes or increase the tax on utilities?

Here is a link to some tax laws in Japan.

I hope this link can stay up. I dont think it

is benefiting anyone.

http://www.wa-pedia.com/japan-guide/tax.shtml