Made some inquiries into budget accomo for 2 weeks next Jan and my first choice is unavailable at the time already. Luckily 2nd choice still had a bed available. WHat's the deal with having to book so far in advance, is it common in Niseko?

More than pretty much anywhere else that's for sure.

Most other places outside of Niseko simply wouldn't believe that situation and look on with great envy.

Having said that, there are popular places and there are places less so and there are very peak times that will be booked up early anywhere.

And if you are going for a shorter time and not in peak times you can find stuff into the season though it's definitely different to other places.

That's what I say anyway.

Yeah pretty much what Ski said, I think Niseko is pretty unique in Japan in that the most popular places get booked out very quickly. However though, there are loads of options. Last Feb I was up there and we booked it just before New Year and got a Japanese pension style place that was 2 minutes walk from the lifts. Perfect postion for lift access and bars and restaurants.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Not to steal your thread but I am wondering the same thing. Is it reasonable to look for a place this summer for the winter and a job?

I'm not sure when you'd need to start looking unfortunately.
But, I was just thought that being it's not even summer yet, it was a tad strange places were already booked out 7 and a half months in advance?
Originally Posted By: thursday
You know some restaurants (not in Niseko) have a 3 month waiting list.

fair enough, but I think that this is also a little strange, strokes and all that I suppose.
Originally Posted By: sand
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Not to steal your thread but I am wondering the same thing. Is it reasonable to look for a place this summer for the winter and a job?

I'm not sure when you'd need to start looking unfortunately.
But, I was just thought that being it's not even summer yet, it was a tad strange places were already booked out 7 and a half months in advance?

It's not strange here. Many well positioned and sought after properties are already mostly booked out during busy periods. Bookings have been strong early this year. Currently we're something like 400% up in bookings on this time last year. Getting back to more what it was like before the GFC. Niseko is a very popular resort!

And Mitch it wouldn't hurt at all to start sending your resume off to prospective employers. You must have visa issues sorted though for a chance to get a job. Some people just turn up and do manage to get some cash in hand jobs but to have a job sorted before arrival a visa will be required.

I'm not surprised that places would already be fully booked for the holiday periods in Japan. Although I know Niseko's market isn't really domestic all you have to consider is that EVERYONE in Japan get the same holidays at the same time. If you are looking to book accommodation during that time you'd better start early. Especially if it's a place that is popular for the domestic market here... In fact, I know of a few minshuku and ryokan that are fully booked years in advance during GW and Obon(not only places in ski resorts).

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
We talked about this a bit last year, but in this are lots of hotels don't even open up bookings for winter until September!

this was more what I was expecting,
but you learn something new everyday such as it's quite normal for Niseko accomo to begin getting booked out for January the previous spring

It's not all accomm though. As others have pointed out there are almost always some options even if you book quite late, they may just not be the options you'd prefer.

That not opening reservations for winter until September is quite bizarre, I'd love to know the reasoning behind it.

But it does show the huge difference between Niseko and Other Places.

The main difference is the amount of foreign toursits coming to Niseko. People will plan big international trips much earlier than domestic travellers who may only be a few hours drive from the resort. Not unusual for the domestic market to only book a few days in advance when heading somewhere. The idea of booking 6-7 months in advance is not usually something they'd consider in their own country.

Business plan for potential Niseko owners:

Only open up bookings in December, charge a real premium , get all the people who haven't been able to find anything decent who just need to get here and will pay.

wink

Originally Posted By: Nisoko
Business plan for potential Niseko owners:

Only open up bookings in December, charge a real premium , get all the people who haven't been able to find anything decent who just need to get here and will pay.

wink

There's a plan! lol

My #2 will be in Niseko Jan and Feb. We will be so poor from paying for him to go and do this Snow Trainers Course (aka: live THE life at Mum and Dad's expense) that we will not.

Companies here do hold back rooms in popular properties during certain busy periods so they can't be sold with early bird discounts. They are released later and sold at full rack rate. Pretty normal yield management practice done by most property managers/hotels.

Profit margins for property management companies in Niseko are extremely small. Most have lost money over the last 2 seasons. Gotta try and make money somehow!

Yeah just kidding.

On a similar kind of subject, I often wonder how interesting it would be to see just how much every person on a flight paid for their seat. A plan of the planes seats and a number on each one. Bet that would make for interesting reading.

Very disappointed went online today to book our accomodation leg of our journey in Niseko and everything is already booked out for mid to late february WHAT THE!!!!!

May be knocking on your door GN with a bottle of Whiskey lol

Have some free Accomodation in Kyushu but they don't have a lot of snow down that way clap

They're holding back on the availability, sh, so you can pay more in autumn! wink

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Companies here do hold back rooms in popular properties during certain busy periods so they can't be sold with early bird discounts. They are released later and sold at full rack rate. Pretty normal yield management practice done by most property managers/hotels.
Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Very disappointed went online today to book our accomodation leg of our journey in Niseko and everything is already booked out for mid to late february WHAT THE!!!!!

May be knocking on your door GN with a bottle of Whiskey lol

Have some free Accomodation in Kyushu but they don't have a lot of snow down that way clap

I know for a fact that everything is not booked out at that time. Keep trying with other companies, you'll find something.