Hey there,

i´ve never skied japan before, but now we plan a trip for next year. We want to create a story for a german magazine about our rail-trip. We´re all three Tele-Skiers and not really keen on skiing on-pist for sure. That´s why i´d like to know where are the best skiing-areas to do some additional back-country walks and to find nice powder!

newhere

We plan to visit the following districts: Tokyo (not for skiing), Nagano, Niigata, Hokkaido

Another question is, if it is necessary to book some hotels or hostels already now, or is there allways an opportunity to get some place to sleep right there? We don´t need very much, but we don´t want to sleep in the railway-station-hall for sure...

I´m very appreciative for any advices!

Thanks a lot, Susanne from Germany

Welcome SusanneS.

nisekohakuba

The locals will be able to give you heaps of advice for their own area's - especially in regard to tele (which I know NOTHING about).

Japan is awesome and friendly and you will have no trouble getting around. But depending on the dates you are coming and where you are staying you might want to book some in advance. I know that Niseko get's crazy booked up for January and February - but outside of that peak time you should be OK...however the other resorts on Hokkaido may well be OK for short notice even in January/February. It is just the ease of booking that could be a problem. Anyone in your group speak or read Japanese?

And another welcome, from the "Land down under"!

We've been to Japan 5 times, and each time we've been absolutely blown away by the generosity, friendliness and gentility of the Japanese people.

Many of them speak reasonably good English (and many also seek out chances to 'practise' their spoken English skills.

There are any number of people on here who'll assist you with tele details, but I KNOW you'll have an absolute ball, there!

As Mamabear suggested, it'd be an advantage if someone in the group had some Japanese, and it'd be well received if you ALL did a little towards learning some Japanese, no matter how little!

The local tourist offices are very helpful in providing information.

How steep do you want. Most areas will require a guided tour. There are backcountry tour operators. Some are in the Furano area in the Daisetsuzan mountains in central Hokkaido, and go to Mt Tokachidake, Mt Asahidake and Mt Kurodake.

Be aware there is no avalanche control in Japan (outside of Niseko). You will get plenty of Niseko OOB advice here.

The beauty of Niseko is that much of the skiing experience is off-piste without being seriously backcountry. Plenty of terrain to tele on. Plenty of backcountry options in the area though out from Goshikionsen, Chisenupuri and of course up Mt Youtei.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

I´m already into learning some japanese... very funny by the way!

It´s really helpful to hear that everything is not that complicated as i thought it is.

We´ll definetly visit your appreciated places in hokkaido! sounds all really great.

Greets from rainy europe,

susanne

One of the conditions (that was not explained to you when you first joined up here, by the way wink ) is that you submit a trip report when you get back home, along with a gazillion wonderful photographs to show how good the place is.

[just joking, really, but a TR would be appreciated]